8 thoughts on “Writing Can Lessen Symptoms And Alter Our Lives

• October 31, 2015 at 1:25 am

I write my story for my children. I want them to know that an illness does not define me. I define it, how it affects my life and from whence it came. I am no longer afraid of my story, nor broken by the prejudices associated with it. I didn’t go to the store and buy this, didn’t barter or pray for it. It came as part of who I am. It lends much to my history, rich history at that. I have gained more from my mental illness than it has robbed from me. I am more compassionate, loving and willing to look at the ugliness in life in hopes of discovering the golden egg. And trust me, there are beauties hidden in the rubble. Countless and immeasurable.

• October 31, 2015 at 8:43 am

Beautifully written! Thank you so much. I think your children are fortunate to have your story.

• November 2, 2015 at 2:13 am

I write my story in many different forms from fiction to non-fiction. I am bold and unapologetic in my writing about my mental health, about triumphs and failures, about truths or myths, because the only way people will know the reality of a situation is if they’re told. Writing gives my voice a stronger echo than it could ever have alone and that’s what’s so fascinating about the art, that’s what keeps me typing on this keyboard or scribbling with my pen. It’s not an occasional hobby, it’s a life-long addiction, a healthy one. My disorder becomes relevant only in my words when I’m writing. Everyone has a story and the more stories are told the more we learn about ourselves and about our society. The more we learn about society, the more understanding we become; the more we learn about ourselves, the more accepting we become.

• November 2, 2015 at 8:53 am

Beautifully written and I agree with you!

• November 5, 2015 at 12:16 am

Imagine that an apple actually had both an inside and an outside. But wait, it does actually have an inside and an outside. Imagine the universe. We exist within it. We are inside it. Imagine that the universe actually had both an inside and an outside. Well of course it has an inside and an outside, I mean how can it have an inside without having an outside. Now imagine some split minded people, aka schizophrenics. Being split minded, these people’s minds are connected to both the inside and the outside. What a nightmare. If others exist on the outside, these others could torment these particular people, since these people are connected to both sides. After all, if there is life after death, this life after death would not be here on the inside, but would be elsewhere, meaning it would be on the outside. Those now on the outside, if having nothing better to do, could be nasty tormentors that are out of sight, out of view. In turn, their victims, whose minds are being tampered with, would be seen by the rest of those on the inside as folks who are experiencing hallucinations and delusions, thus are said to be experiencing events which are not really true since the source of these events is out of sight.

But not to worry. This would only happen if the rest of the population on the inside was incredibly stupid enough to jump to such a conclusion. But wait….. they really are incredibly stupid enough to do just that.

If there are two sides to reality, and of course there are, then the outside, which is different from the inside, will have a different set of laws of physics than does the inside. Funny enough, with this being the case, certain events will behave differently depending upon which side is governing these events. One example of this, is particle/wave duality. How can light behave like particles at one time, yet behave like waves at another time! Today’s physicists do not have an answer to that question. Today’s physicists have not included the existence of the outside of the universe, therefore the outside laws of physics have been, and continue to be, excluded. This has kept physics progress at a standstill concerning understanding the big picture. The grand unified theory is therefore not being achieved, and it never will be discovered, all thanks to mans stubbornness. In turn, the tormenting of a minority on the inside, will continue since as far as the world is concerned, the location of the source of the tormenting does not even exist.

By the way, I am just some crazy guy who managed to discover what is today known as Einstein’s special theory of relativity, and I did so without having any physics education at all, and to prove this, I did so in a manner that is 100% unique.
    See, for proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAwpEetJ-Q&list=PL3zkZRUI2IyBFAowlUivFbeBh-Mq7HdoQ

• November 5, 2015 at 8:19 am

Thank you for commenting. This is interesting.

• April 7, 2016 at 7:28 am

I’m diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder, not full-blown schizophrenia, but I did have pretty bad psychosis at age 14 that led to a 6-month hospitalization. I discovered recently a research model called ipseity (“self”) disturbance, which refers to the basic self, the core of the self that passively constructs the world for you across time and lets you know implicitly that these experiences are yours; this isn’t talking about who you are, what you like, or anything like that, but about the construction of the field of awareness, a very basic, low-level function; it normally works passively and implicitly, in the background of consciousness. But I’ve read up on what are called anomalous self-experiences, or self-disorders, which are assessed in a semi-structured interview called the “Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience,” and these experiences aggregate in schizophrenia spectrum disorders and away from conditions like psychotic bipolar disorder. A key point is that these experiences tend to be chronic or recurring and do not rise to the level of psychosis themselves (though they may help trigger psychosis), and are primarily experienced subjectively.

I’ve been communicating with a researcher in that area, and I find it very helpful to write my anomalous experiences. One thing I’ve discovered is the tendency to analyze everything as if with a fine-tooth comb (“hyperreflectivity” or excessive reflection) and finding language often inadequate to express the many complexities and the strangeness of my experiences, which seems to arise from having a certain detachment and difficulty keeping in touch with what’s going on around me. Especially when it’s noisy or I’m particularly stressed, it becomes difficult to concentrate because I keep having other random things that I’m thinking about pop in and out of awareness almost as if the thoughts had a will of their own. I’ve had difficulty since elementary school, and I find it helpful to write about my experiences.

• June 15, 2016 at 11:44 am

I think writing is very helpful, too. I think it helps many people with mental health issues. Thanks for your comment. 🙂