11 thoughts on “10 Things I learned After A Year of Living Openly With Schizophrenia

• March 19, 2016 at 7:25 am

Well done for being so brave & being so open & honest about your mental illness. I hope you get all the help & support you need from your friends, family, & the doctors. I really admire you. Just because you have a mental illness does not mean that you’ll never get better. I knew someone who suffered with chronic paranoid schizophrenia & he got well. I wish you the very best of luck!

• March 21, 2016 at 11:07 am

Thank you! I do get a lot of support – something I wish for everyone. Have a great day!

• March 27, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Since it has been proven by the best scientists in the business that Schizophrenia is a genetically based condition(just like Diabetes and cancer)-but it affected the brain rather than the pancreas-it thus created a social stigma perpetrated by the ignorant.
    I am glad for you and millions of others that Science has opened the door of Knowledge-Best Wishes-Jennifer.

• April 17, 2016 at 4:31 am

Not exactly a genetic disorder , there will be people with markers for schizophrenia, but will not develop the illness

• June 15, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thank you for your comment! 🙂

• April 6, 2016 at 9:51 am

Yay you for “coming out” — Im so glad you discovered that the love and regard your support network has for you only increases as you embrace all that is you and share it with the people who matter. And YAY for all of us. By you doing so, you contribute to a culture that normalizes this, and many other kinds of diversity. When I was a teen in the 70s and 80s, I watched my beautiful Auntie lose herself, her career, her friends, her family, her ability to drive, her home to misunderstood and mistreated paranoid schizophrenia. She’s 63 and has been institutionalized for decades. When my son was diagnosed with the same thing 3 years ago, I was like, “Hell no, that trajectory is not going to be my son’s.” and thankfully, today there are more effective interventions, more literature out there to help us understand (which I shared liberally with family and friends!), and finally, a growing understanding and acceptance. THANK YOU so much for living your life with integrity, and for letting people have insight into the challenges you’ve overcome!

• April 6, 2016 at 9:56 am

(and BTW, yes, it was a rough/rocky road in the beginning as he grappled with accepting this aspect of himself, struggled with allowing himself to be supported and loved, and started to learn self care. He graduates from college in 6 weeks, has a wonderful stable girlfriend, friends, a faith that informs his life, he drives, works, is “daddy” to two kittens, and most important: he is happy.)

• June 15, 2016 at 11:46 am

Yes, it can be difficult at times. I’m so glad he is happy now. 🙂

• June 15, 2016 at 11:45 am

Thank you for your support! I wish the best for you and your son! 🙂

• August 2, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I am a Mother who has been struggling for the past 2 yrs. trying to get help for my son.I have been financially & emotionally supporting my son for the past 2 years. I knew 16 yrs. ago when my son called from my parents home & told me that his dog Jake was being raped by other dogs, & that I needed to get him out of the situation A.S.P. I knew then & there that my son was in trouble mentally. How he managed his life for the next 14 yrs. is kind of surreal when I know what I know about my son’s mental illness. My son is a “Paranoid Schizophrenia” & I have basically did my research & found Paranoid Schizophrenia best fit his personality type. At this time we are waiting to hear from the State Dr. what her diagnose of my son will be. Our system is so slow in getting help. My son has told me if not for me he has no idea what he would have done…..

I feel blessed to have my son & so grateful to read your posting that he can get better. My son was a H.S. History teacher & a football coach….now he lives with his windows totally draped in towels & sheets to keep the bad guys out. I have shared my son’s condition with family & friends…And for some of the relationships it’s been so much better for my son, like with his siblings who thought he was a jerk & now they get it & now are being supportive. It hurts when asked if my son is dangerous by family or friends …why, because my son has no criminal record, has always been a up-standing citizen, but like you guys mention its the stigma that is attached to this disease I believe…My son is ashamed of his disease & I feel he has done a wonderful job coping or dealing with his disease alone for many years. My son will be 42 yrs. old next mth. & he & I know this disease is getting worst, not better for him. I will never give up on him & will pursue the system until I can get him financially independent again & hopefully some kind of pill is out there that can help his condition…..You all just give me so much Hope that their is a light at the end of the tunnel…Thank you for sharing your story Rebecca.God Bless all of you & keep you safe. Mahalo, Judy

• August 8, 2016 at 12:11 am

Thank you so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment. I wish only the best for you and your son!