6 thoughts on “5 Artists/Bands That Stigmatize Mental Illness

• December 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm

I completely disagree with you on at least 2 of these songs and I think you’ve completely misrepresented a couple of these artists. David from Disturbed has been through depression himself after he saw his girlfriend commit suicide and he’s even talked about it in interviews. Disturbed is a band that I haven’t once seen stigmatize mental illness because they truly understand it. After hearing David’s story about how he overcame depression and went on into music it’s somewhat inspired me even. Just look at songs like Inside the Fire and then If you still think that Disturbed stigmatized mental illness then that’s your opinion but I’m just trying to lay out the facts here.

• December 28, 2015 at 11:54 pm

In the video I linked to there are images of an “asylum”, guards chasing a “patient” and the use of straitjackets. I think that is extremely stereotypical regardless of the band’s experience with mental illness. I appreciate you taking the time to write your opinion for other people to see though. I have no problem with disagreement. 🙂

• January 14, 2016 at 2:52 am

I appreciate your advocacy. I have, as we all have, struggled with the stigma of having a mental illness and I watched my father suffer 35 years ago when he was diagnosed. I remember my mother telling us never to tell anyone. They were both highly educated and intelligent people. Having had a diagnosis later in life, some doctors I have seen for a decade or more treat me differently. I say change the term mental illness to a brain disorder or anything that suggests there is a physical aspect or malfunction in the body besides your mind. People don’t understand there are physical symptoms and believe you are insane or need to snap out of it. I always respond, why didn’t I think of that. Thank you for reminding us we are people and no different than someone who has a chronic condition.

• January 14, 2016 at 10:08 am

I have had bad experiences, too. I wish it was easier. I do think it is getting a little better though – there seems to be some progress. Thanks so much for your input!

• November 8, 2016 at 6:48 am

Any use of straitjackets is completely stereotypical and stigmatizing. Both Pink and Nicki Minaj have used them in their videos recently to represent themselves as “mentally ill” with zero knowledge on why to use them is in such bad taste.

• July 18, 2018 at 8:38 am

I disagree with your pick of Bebe Rexha’s song ‘I’m gonna show you crazy’ as it’s a song about how some people call her crazy and mentally ill and that she isn’t. She is standing up to people that have done her wrong and is – in my opinion – actually taking down some of the stigma around mental health. She has also suffered from quite bad anxiety for most of her life, so she is well aware of how important mental health is.