8 thoughts on “Healing from Complex-PTSD in the Aftermath of Narcissistic Abuse

• March 5, 2019 at 8:38 am

Thank you for your article. I’m having a difficult time healing from narcissistic abuse and believe finding a trauma informed theripst is essential to the process of recovery. However, it’s been near impossible to find such theripsts in San Diego County. Do you have any reccomendations?

• March 5, 2019 at 9:44 am

I am glad the article was helpful. Try Kate Webb from Draw from Within Studio in Little Italy — if she is unable to help, she may know of someone she recommends. Also Bethany Warren, LCSW.

• May 4, 2019 at 10:44 am

The information you provide on trauma is much appreciated as well as helpful and validating. As another writer mentioned, finding a therapist who can work with trauma survivors has also been my challenge and being a “trauma informed” therapist isn’t always enough to move a client into deeper healing. I get all the academics and intellectually I’m somewhat well versed, however the suffering and heartache continues. I live in Western Canada and sadly have not been able to find healing. I do my own research online and it keeps me from spiraling but it would be nice to soar from time to time.
    Is this just how it is or am I not looking in the right places. An added reality is that it can cost up to $200.00/hour for therapy to discover that the therapy isn’t right for healing trauma. This in itself creates so much added anxiety for me.
    Any suggestions, feedback or direction would be greatly appreciated.

• May 10, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Hi Nancy — keep searching for support. Glad the article was helpful. Therapy is going to cost with a trained professional, but in some cases can be covered by insurance. I am not sure how that works in Canada…is mental health service a part of your health plan ? If so, you may be able to go within your network for support. Alternatively, you can potentially work with a therapist who does web-cam based services and might be able to provide some life coaching. Check out Tracy Malone’s narcissistabusesupport.com for a listing of providers…hope that helps!

• May 10, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Thank you for your reply Andrea. I will keep searching.

• May 11, 2019 at 10:08 am

My doctors at the VA recognized in me that I have PTSD from my 15 year marriage. I’m enrolled and working with their PTSD program but I’m learning that my PTSD is probably “complex” moreso than what their program is meant to handle. I feel worse cause it feels like the therapists just don’t get it. I can’t do the exercises, I can’t just focus on “the event” it was a thousand “events”. I guess I’m just saying we need way more therapists and doctors to learn and train on this.

• June 9, 2019 at 1:01 pm

The thing that upsets me the most about my situation is that I was in therapy 2 decades, described everything that was done by my narcissist abuser and the therapist never even MENTIONED he could be a narcissist or sociopath or both! Now I’m disabled from an injury caused by him screaming at me & unable to work due to constant pain. So, now I’m stuck with him. He turned my own children against me so I have nowhere to go now. Had I known that what he had was incurable or that he could turn my kids against me I would have left him & stayed away for good when I was healthy. I tried leaving 3 times, even with public housing & food stamps it wasn’t enough $ to live on. I was also working a minimum wage job & it was not enough to live on. He always lied to the judge & never paid child support so, I thought it better to stay with him and that at least the kids would have a better life (so I thought) There needs to be therapists that specialize in this field. I’m going to suffer the rest of my life now because I wasn’t told the info I needed to know most of all, that he’s a narcissist & it’s not curable and gets worse as they age! I always thought he was bi polar. That nonsense about both people being wrong in some way or contributing to an argument needs to be stop being taught! Narcissists scream at people for no reason! Read up on Narcissim symptoms. Leave & stay away if you think your partner is one.

• June 10, 2019 at 3:49 pm

I am sorry to hear you had a less than positive experience in therapy. Unfortunately, some helping professionals do not have the training to know how to help survivors and should not be advertising that they do know if they don’t have that expertise. Trauma-informed counseling is vital in the healing journey.