Comments on
Silent Treatment, Ghosting, and No Contact: Telling It Like It Is

“Don’t let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” Dalai Lama

Time and again people are confusing the concepts of silent treatment, ghosting, and no contact. These topics are deployed as relates to communication between dating partners, friends, family members, and colleagues, and not always with the best of intentions. So to further assist with defining each of these concepts, the purpose of said action, and the intended response by the “executioner” of such statements shall be the focus of this article.

9 thoughts on “Silent Treatment, Ghosting, and No Contact: Telling It Like It Is

• November 12, 2017 at 9:12 pm

My son treats me this way . Now I understand more .

K

• November 12, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I very much enjoyed your thoughts on ghosting, gave me a much needed chuckle.

• November 19, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thank you.

• November 13, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Very well written blog essay and on-point

• November 19, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thank you.

• November 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Hi Andrea, Thanks for your explanation of the difference between silent treatment, ghosting and no contact. My DIL implements the silent treatment towards my son often after a temper tantrum. When my son has defended her behaviour (trauma bonding) by giving me the silent treatment, I finally confronted him and told him that the silent treatment does not solve problems and he needs to find another way. We agreed that after 24 hours that the issue would be addressed by video chat or in person but not by email. Ghosting is so cowardly! Nowadays, it is done by not responding to emails, phone calls, etc., I fell out with a friend I had known for four decades who ghosted and I emailed her expressing my anger and disappointment. She called and angrily accused me of dumping on her and she was busy with health issues in her family. I ended the conversation by wishing her Happy Thanksgiving. My DIL is a malignant narcissist and told my son that I want no contact with her…of course, it’s always my fault. I am making a point of cutting out toxic people who shame and blame me as a target of narc abuse, They just don’t get it.

• November 24, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I am glad the article was helpful…

• January 25, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Helpful article but NPD is difficult to diagnose, a collegue didnt respond to my message i believe, since i didnt answe his advances, is it possible?

• January 25, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Actually NPD is pretty simple to diagnose if you are a therapist with this specialty of helping survivors in the aftermath of psychological abuse:). I wouldn’t encourage it in the layperson, however. Not sure I understand your question — please elaborate about your situation?