8 thoughts on “Fear of Parties: One Good Reason

• December 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Very interesting. This has been on my mind lately, as I realize how often I look away from people while talking to them. I’ve been wondering if this behavior is related to a disorder of some type or to anxiety or is just a bad habit. Also I’ve often joked that “I’m the opposite of most people: I remember names but not faces.” Looking forward to more research.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I have no problem with recognizing faces, but I have mirror touch synesthesia, which I think contributed to my social anxiety. But mostly I hate parties because I can only relate to people if I’m doing things for them, and unless I’m the host, I have no role to play, so I say inappropriate things.

• December 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

That’s fascinating, Julian, and I don’t know. The findings reported here are from a very small sample, just 49 people with autism, but it certainly is interesting. I clicked through to the other story and found this: “We are seeing some people with autism that have lower gastrointestinal problems and immune problems.” This is interesting because I also have gluten sensitivity, which is a gastrointestinal and autoimmune problem.

Of course, if introversion is on the autism spectrum, it is on the nonclinical end, which means symptoms would not be as severe.

• December 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I have social anxiety. I have a hard time recognizing faces and connecting names. I’m also introverted. I find I have a hard time looking at people’s faces. But I find that I have very good voice recognition. And I will remember facts about a person. I may not be able to remember their name (I think this is because I am most anxious when I first meet someone new), but I can remember where they grew up or what they study. It is too bad I can’t identify people as “you are the person who grew up in place x, works at place y, and studied z in college.”

• December 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I think if you were to say that–“I’m terrible with names but I remember XYZ about you” people would be very flattered and happy to remind you of their name.

• December 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I just came home from a party! I was the spouse
    of the honored employee. Anxious isn’t the word.
    I so wanted to say something in his honor, but I could not—–too afraid I would stumble and say
    stupid things and get embarassed.
    I hate parties and “get-togethers”——even with my family (especially with my family?)
    I would take a nerve pill, but then I would not only be stupid—-I would be slow and stupid. Had to take beta blockers to get through college.

• March 9, 2015 at 2:25 am

i also had aha moment just like you luckily i have never had any ugh, ugh, ugh moment though, cause i never go out to any parties or get together