6 thoughts on “What Is The Parenting Recipe For Making Mean Kids?

• November 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm

As a severely bullied kid whose mom tried appealing to the parents, I found there is a strongly held belief that “no, my child would never do that”. Just why parents think victims would lie about being bullied is beyond me – it would guarantee that you WOULD be bullied. BTW, talking to the parents made things worse just as I feared (I pleaded with her not to do it). There was retaliation and the bullies knew for sure that they would get away with it. After all, they mom and dad’s support. The school was useless too, despite their claims of there being “no tolerance of bullying at our school”. More burying of heads in the sand! The only time they did anything was when a boy punched me. No one cares about bullying by girls.

• November 15, 2011 at 8:16 am

I was moderately bullied in high school starting from middle school. I had teachers that believed me, but didn’t seem to want to do anything. I would tell them the situation and they would say “Ok, come back if it happens again. There’s not much I can really do”. This phrase over and over. They preached in school assemblies to go for help. They did nothing for my bullying. I had Social Anxiety Disorder as a teenager and still do. So I had started skipping classes because I figured if they cant do anything then i’ll have to do something on my own. My parents were fairly passive about it, telling me to tell teachers. Like I said, eventually I couldn’t take it and skipped school.

• November 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

there is no one thing that creates a mean child. Anyone of those bad parenting styles can,or a combination of some of them.It just depends on the child. Plus teens peers in a way may encourage it or not stop it.

• November 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I just wrote about this on my blog….BULLIES are at the root of parental alienation – and they create another generation of bullies! Read my blog, Until You Say Uncle.

• November 16, 2011 at 1:45 am

When does trying to protect them become overly restricting? Is there a happy balance?

• November 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm

There must be a good balance, Home Mom, and I’ll see if I can find any research on protectiveness vs overprotection.