9 thoughts on “Dear Narcissist, Stop, You’re on the Wrong Track!

• February 27, 2018 at 8:13 pm

The narcissists are on the wrong track; however, for many of them, it will only occur to them when they are lying on their death beds or living at home alone finally retired from work and they are thinking about all the dead bodies they left behind and their loved ones do not want to see them anymore nor do their former workers want to contact them.

• February 28, 2018 at 9:11 pm

This came at the right time; it is beautifully written. Thank you.

• March 2, 2018 at 10:53 am

Thanks for commenting, abcdefg, much appreciate your sharing this. Thank you.

• March 1, 2018 at 8:45 am

Good article for those of us who aren’t Narcs! I’ve been married to 1 for 41yrs…it’s PATHOLOGICAL…No hope for change..EVER!! I am the 1 changing and growing..Especially now that I know What/Why happened to me…but through Recovery I now know it happened FOR ME!! I can and will change My future..what happens to him?? More of the Same I suspect but it WON’T BE ME next time

• March 2, 2018 at 10:52 am

Thanks for commenting, Dianah Shifless. You correct in noting that it would be deluding oneself to think that a person with either narcissistic or antisocial personality disorder (NPD or APD, respectively) would read this article, and want to change!

My article is a message from a therapist to NPSs and NPDs that, ideally, they’d embrace and seek help. I completely agree, on the other hand, that it is pure fantasy to think an APD or NPD would change by receiving this message, or even read it!

I think I may need to add a note to the article to clarify this, as others have similarly commented. Thanks again, and best wishes.

• March 1, 2018 at 11:48 am

Thank you for so eloquently stating what we wish our narcissistic spouses could understand.

• March 2, 2018 at 10:34 am

Much appreciate your comment, L, and especially that you understand the intent of the article to express something that one “wishes” they would and could understand, however, in most cases this is not possible. For a narcissist, it’s like admitting they do not and never existed. Too much shame, intense fear, desperation. However it cannot be fixed by anyone, but them! Thanks again..

• March 1, 2018 at 8:28 pm

I don’t believe narcissism is an illness. I can agree that emotional coldness from mother before age 5 is more likely the cause. I don’t believe this is treatable or curable. It is what that person is. The best thing to do is stay away from the narcissist…trust me I have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder Mom, two Narcissistic Personality Disorder husbands, and one longterm relationship with a malignant Narcissistic Personality Disordered man…I know what I am talking about…go no contact, and stop deluding yourself they will improve….they won’t.

• March 2, 2018 at 10:05 am

Thanks for commenting, Kat. You are correct in noting that it would be deluding oneself to think that a person with either narcissistic or antisocial personality disorder (NPD or APD, respectively) would read this article, take any time to understand, or want to understand how much in need they are of help, how much what they project onto others, i.e., craziness, untrustworthy, devious, etc., is revealingly descriptive of themselves.

Narcissism is a personality disorder, a severe thought/core belief disturbance that is rooted in traumatic experiences, powerlessness, experiencing and witnessing emotional, sexual and, or physical abuse in early childhood. And, yes, in most cases, no contact is necessary (though not always possible, i.e., where children are involved etc).

My article is a message to NPSs and NPDs that, ideally, they’d embrace and seek help. I completely agree that is would be pure fantasy to think that a person with APD or NPD would even read it or give any serious attention to understanding how destructive they are to themselves, as well as others, their relationships, in some cases, society at large.

It may be helpful for me to add a note in the article, to say that my purpose in writing it was, primarily, with those that NPDs and APDs prey on or victimize in mind. It’s written to support a key step of healing and perhaps breaking free, and that is rewriting the story in their minds that the narcissist has instilled. Thanks again for commenting.