11 thoughts on “Depression? Anxiety? Five Factors That Elevate Levels of Toxic-Stress in Body & Mind, 2 of 3

• February 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

This is the best article(s) I have seen on this subject in ages…I have posted it to facebook and will post to my website. Sorry, I don’t tweet! Thank you for summarizing what absolutely everyone should know and practice!

• February 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for comment and feedback, Elle. So appreciate your positive support!

• February 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I agree with all five of your factors. I am currently working on three of them which causes problems with at least one of the other truths. The others required professional help if they can be treated at all. If there is not a genetic link why then are both my brother and I as well as my mother and uncle depression sufferers do you think?

• February 25, 2012 at 7:33 am

Thank you for commenting, Judi. This is a controversial position, isn’t it? I came to this from looking at the evidence, not on my own. Based on family systems theory, research (and most psychotherapist’s observations in clinical work), family patterns are transmitted in families from one generation to the next. According to attachment research, caregivers’ ability to regulate their own fear, stress and other painful emotions can have a lifelong effect on the felt sense of emotional security of a child throughout life in relation to self, others and life. Recent findings in neuroscience substantiate attachment studies – brains are designed to learn by wiring one another, and this is especially at work in our close relationships and in early childhood. Considering a young mother who is suffering from depression – how can she be present, an emotionally available to her child, to meet its attachment needs, when she doesn’t know how to be present to her own sadness without falling into despair? The child does not know this of course… as human beings are inclined to take things personally…

(Keep in mind, the mother is not defective, rather didn’t have her attachment needs met in early childhood, thus, didn’t ‘learn’ this from her caregivers, and still ‘believes’ limiting stories about herself, i.e., that she’s defective, cannot be healed etc.)

There is also evidence in neuroscience that our genes are also a two way street – they shape us, yet our experiences and beliefs also shape them. If you’re interested in this see, “Biology of Belief” by nationally known cell biologist Dr Bruce Lipton. Thanks again for writing!

• February 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thank you for questioning the efficacy of popping pills for depression, anxiety and stress. Our culture has gone way overboard with this and have come to expect a quick fix for all of life’s problems.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

So appreciate your support, stressbeat, and thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights.

• February 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This is a wonderful post with such valuable information and advice. Thank you! I look forward to Part 3’s advice for dealing naturally with anxiety and depression.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Appreciate the message and feedback, Janet. Thank you for stopping by to comment!

• May 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I agree totally with the “we are what we eat” philosophy. It makes sense to me that society is conditioned to treat so many problems by popping a pill (which then becomes an expensive and regular part of our diet).

We are not screwed up because our body is deficient in the toxic drug we are ingesting, but rather probably just need a good run and a salad.

• May 27, 2012 at 2:32 am

Unfortunately, I think depression is a genetic disorder, as it seems to run in the other side of my family’s relatives through all generations, and I wonder if perhaps my eldest suffers from it, given her constant unhappy mood. The fact that the body may be needing sugars, might explain why many of us emotionally eat junk food. I know in times of stress sometimes all I can think about is devouring a big bag of chicken Twisties.

• June 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for commenting, Jodie. If depression were a genetic disorder, what explains the dramatic spikes, increasing with each successive decade? What explains that the rate of depression, anxiety, obesity, food and drug addiction, and major diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease (all of which are connected …) are exponentially greater in the US compared to any other European-industrial nation? Why would genetic disorders target the ‘land of the free’ – except that we’ve had our food injected with sugar decades ahead of other industrial nations? The bottom line is that, sugar is injected in our foods to make us eat more. It’s about profit, which is likely why Congress will not budge to make some simple changes that would inform the public on prevention.