Comments on
Are Rebound Relationships Doomed?

rebound relationshipsRebound relationships can be quite intense. It’s often the case that the longer the previous relationship, the more intense the rebound. Why does this happen?

Rebounds have a lot to do with our attachment makeup (based on early life development).

6 thoughts on “Are Rebound Relationships Doomed?

• October 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Unfortunately, the vast majority of rebound relationships are bound to fail. Something has to teporarily fill the hole left by a break up and the new significant other is that person.

• October 31, 2012 at 12:06 am

Also, there are sometimes cases where guys find themselves dating girls who they “think” are over their old boyfriends but they’re really not. I think whether or not rebound relationships are successful will usually depend on why the previous breakup happened.

A show I heard that makes a good companion for this article is here:

The broadcast talks about how people find themselves not being able to get over their “ex” because of their bruised ego and some other reasons too.

• November 8, 2012 at 6:03 am

This post is wonderful not only because of explaining relationship strength but because of causes of Rebounding it. I am totally agree with you on perfect or idolized case.

• April 28, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I think the biggest issue is to remember that my new partner is suffering emotionally. I have seen several successful rebound relationships, all because the non-rebound partner kept things slow by establishing healthy boundaries, i.e. no physical intimacy at the start, encouragement to resolve issues the past relationship, and so on. I want to make sure that he is seeing me (all of me) through the correct lens, so that I am not idealized. Giving my partner space to feel/think/work his way through, yet offer support when asked is critical. Many rebound relationships are doomed to fail because the other partner is unaware that it is a rebound relationship. Just like any relationship, proper boundaries, mutual respect, and communication are key.

• January 3, 2016 at 6:59 pm

While you were IN the past relationship.(Whether you like it or not) You DID grow together..So when it is over for whatever the reason .A Part of you is gone with her/him and a part of Him/Her is a part of YOU..By getting involved too soon all you are doing is shoving the EX in you Down into your Soul ..If You think all is well in Rebound Land ..Think Again my friend. Unless you stay ON YOUR OWN for at least one year for every Five you were together and grow to be YOU JUST YOU standing alone free and strong..If you don’t do that and Mr/Ms “BAND AID” comes along (Rebound relationship)and you Cuddly up/In Hello down the road..DISASTER,.

• December 16, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Great insight, thank you!