Too often we underestimate the power of touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia
Linda: Some people are more naturally inclined to devote time and energy into mastering the art of romantic connection. Others are more inclined to place their attention elsewhere. Almost all of us have a learning deficit in this area due to the fact that positive models in the art of connection are so rare. Once the realization takes place where there is understanding of the extraordinary benefits that accompany this essential life skill, the motivation to devote time and energy to become competent in this area accelerates.
Let’s consider the benefits of mastering this art:
- Feeling a sense of belonging
- Increasing self-confidence
- Taking delight in a sense of alignment and harmony
- Reducing fear and anxiety
- Having curiosity and wonder about self and other.
- Enjoying a positive outlook.
- Experiencing strong energy and passion
- Engaging in the pursuit of joint goals
- Developing skills to achieve excellence
- Liberating creativity
- Building a solid, sturdy trust
- Participating in enthusiastic collaboration
- Inspiring each other to risk and grow
- Unleashing creativity
- Moving through transitions with ease
- Bringing out the best in each other
- Understanding each others assumptions, beliefs, expectations, and values
- Comforting each other through losses and disappointments
- Cooperating to solve problems
- Accepting life’s difficulties more easily because we don’t feel so alone
- Translating visions into realities
- Opening up communication
- Welcoming the exchange of feedback.
- Lowering stress
- Harnessing the rapport to experience physical affection and sexual pleasure
- Opening to the influence of the trusted other
- Understanding other and feeling understood
- Taking pleasure in feeling appreciated for our unique gifts
- Debating differences with a spirit of good will
- Becoming a better listener and developing empathy
- Cultivating humility to become a life-long learner
- Growing in generosity to be able to give more to others
- Lightening our load by sharing responsibilities
- Benefiting materially since when operating as a team, we make more money
- Removing our image to be authentic
- Living in appreciation and gratitude, with a sense that life is good.
- Increasing the ability to be fully present
- Deepening compassion for self and others
- Having a joint sense of purpose
- Increasing health and happiness, which slows down the aging process
Making our romantic connection a high priority is a great gift to ourselves and to our partner. When we do so, we make spending quality time together our highest priority. Then we put work and other concerns aside on a regular basis to show our genuine care with face-to-face communication. We put aside all electronic devices, (laptops, cellphones and tablets) to be fully present. Small but consistent adjustments can add up to deep fulfillment. When we consider the massive amount of benefits from focusing our attention on developing our skill in this area, it becomes obvious to us where we want to focus our precious life energy. Mastering the art of romantic connection has, as Leo Buscaglia says, “the potential to turn life around”.