Comments on
Overcoming Betrayal: 7 Tips

Betrayal is one of the most devastating and distressing things that can occur in a relationship. Deception by those we love and trust the most is often one of the most painful human experiences one can endure.

7 thoughts on “Overcoming Betrayal: 7 Tips

• April 5, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Ok, I relate to all of this. I have CPTSD, anxiety(daily). I have been seeing a counselor for almost 6 months and we are exploring IFS, not so sure about it. What if the betrayer still keeps lying?

• April 5, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Hello Donna,

One of the most important things a betrayer can do to restore and rebuild a relationship involves honesty and transparency. Relationships must be built on trust and respect in order to survive. Relationships that include deceit has the ability to affect our emotional health. Persons that are truly remorseful about betraying the people they love would have acknowledged their wrongdoings, made a commitment to working on the relationship, regaining their partners trust, and move forward with honesty. If someone continues to betray their partner chances are they are not remorseful about the things they have done that may have hurt their partner. Persons that have not made a commitment to change, utilize transparency, and actively work to repair damage done to the relationship will typically engage in the same behaviors. Unfortunately, when the betrayer does not make significant changes the relationship will continue to weaken, leading to feelings of resentment, sadness, regret, and often hostility. Changes are required to promote healthy communication, rebuild trust, and enhance intimacy.

• April 6, 2017 at 3:57 pm

What is the person who betrayed you does not even admit that they did anything wrong, but, as usual, blames YOU for the betrayal? This is a family member who has a smear campaign going against me and has twisted my words around. They act as if they cannot understand why I am upset at all. The very idea of trying to even have a normal conversation is out of the question when they cannot be trusted. This person was never given any discipline when growing up and they believe that they not only have a right to bully, but that they have the approval of other family members. I know that they would cut off their arm before apologizing. Some relatives think I should just forgive and forget. To me this would send a signal that it is ok to intimidate me.

• April 7, 2017 at 11:51 pm

This article is very helpful at clearly explaining the devastating effects of betrayal, which I know first had but the article ends with “Tips To Overcome Betrayal” that assume the person is a romantic partner or willing to repair the damage. I don’t think that’s realistic. Most people who are capable of that level of betrayal are also unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. The real experience of betrayal is also facing the reality that the person you trusted is not the person you thought they were and never will be.

• April 8, 2017 at 4:03 pm

The absolute worst, most destructive form of betrayal is AKA “Narcissistic Victim Syndrome”. Google the term for numerous sites talking about it or go to ‘narcissisticbehavior . net’, (closing the spaces for the URL) for a more educational and lengthy explanation.
    Since Narcissists seldom see therapists, this has been misdiagnosed in the Narcissist’s Victim for years. It was proposed for inclusion in DSM V, but it is only in subcategory DESNOS along with it’s result of Complex PTSD.

• April 12, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I was betrayed by someone I trusted the most. He turned it around it around on me. So I couldn’t put the blame on him. He took my savings that was a down payment for a home for me and used it even tho he said he was keeping it ,for me to prevent me spending it. When I asked for it back he went ballistic. Said he’s used it to help me which was not the agreement. How I hurt him so much when I asked for it back. I was the one hurt. I was destroyed, I am still so destroyed been so depressed since January . I am scared.
    he was helping with my net but threatens me he will stop, he caused me to have the nervous breakdown when he got a lover who was engaged to someelse. She married the man but they r still lovers. After all theses years. He hates me. I did nothing to him for this. I am so sad and hate myself but we have son together and he owes us until my son gets out of medical school.

• April 12, 2017 at 6:57 pm

So don,t tell me about forgiveness. He destroyed me yet again and then tried to blame me. He,s a liar, a cheater,selfish and so mean. I,be never hated anyone brfore. I hate.e him.