17 thoughts on “Dissociative Disorder: 8 Common Signs

• August 31, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Dissociative Disorder is a broad-based classification which includes the sub-category of Dissociative Identity Disorder (“Multiple Personalities”), correct?

• August 31, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Yes, that is correct.

• August 31, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I am sorry to say that this is me. Difficulty concentrating, spacing out, unable to respond properly (mentally and verbally) in stressful situations, absent minded, poor relationship skills in work and at home. Globus Hystericus, aches and pains, headaches (although less as I grow older). Long period of physical and emotional abuse as a child.
    Unfortunately, I have also been diagnosed as having dyslexia, and online personality tests show INTJ schizoid. Trouble is, how do I know which is the real cause of my problems? NHS can’t help, that’s for sure.

• August 31, 2016 at 1:34 pm

This article has been an eye-opener for me; it’s answered many questions, some of which I didn’t even know I had. It makes me rather sad too, though, to think that I may have suffered from something like DD all these years. Part of that, I guess, is the stigma towards mental illness that unfortunately still exists out there.

A few years back, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, which I may in fact have; but it looks like the criteria for DD is there as well. All this time, I thought I just had an overactive imagination and in fact was made to feel ashamed of myself for “daydreaming” as a kid. It definitely WAS an escape at times, since there were times when reality just purely sucked. But I can feel for Ruth.

• August 31, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Do people with dissociative disorder experience extreme body pain? How to addrrsss it?

• September 1, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I severely dissociate. I can spend hours immersed in a “play” created in my mind. I walk into walls. Have little sensation of temperature, pain, or touch. I can be so disconnected from myself that I don’t know where I am or exactly how I got there. I don’t have “DID”. I do have an extraordinary ability to disappear into my own mind, however.

• August 31, 2016 at 11:58 pm

I have at least six of those eight, especially the daydreaming and unwillingness to deal with reality. Since my teens (I will be 70 this September) I have spent most of my time daydreaming. I have been fired at least twice because I was standing in the middle of a room, once even for two hours, just daydreaming. I have a therapist who wants to make me speak up and do things for myself (instead of just letting things happen). In some ways she may be right, but I believe that she does not understand how much I am addicted to daydreaming and avoiding conflicts, even if I end up losing my own money. I go through life helping others get their way even if I knwo that I end up losing something.

• September 1, 2016 at 12:53 am

“Typically, once a person with Dissociative Disorder understands and accepts his or her diagnosis, the goal becomes reintegration (or unification) of the various personality states.”

I have carried a diagnosis of dissociative disorder for 24 years now. Never once in all of that time of therapy has “reintegration” been mentioned or discussed. Perhaps that is because I do not have dissociative identity disorder. The symptoms do tend to wax and wane in direct proportion to the stressors in my life. I am curious, how does one work towards unification when there are no distinct personalities?

• September 1, 2016 at 7:57 am

Can your have detachment without having multiple personalities? When with an abusive person, I can hide myself within myself. I play a role until it’s safe again to be me.

When I was a kid, I lost myself, it took me a while to find myself again. I didn’t know what I wanted and what I liked because the only way to lie to my parents was to believe my own lie about who I was.

Now that I am an adult. I’ve had time to find myself again and I find it hard to hide. The transition between hiding and coming back isn’t easy, but if I need to for short periods, I can hide myself to myself so the actor that believes her lie can play again.

I’m fully conscious of the process and the actor is almost always the same. She’s the half autistic person who doesn’t get what’s happening socially and doesn’t question, she’s oblivious to any subject that could cause a crisis: opinions, sex, emotions. They enter by one ear and go out by the other… kind of like a color blind person can hear about colors but not perceive them. When I hide within myself, it’s always this actor that comes out, I don’t have another one.

Sometimes I say things that sound more like the actor and I catch it. Sometimes I catch it too late.

I’m not sure the end goal would be to integrate the actor. The actor isn’t real. The goal would be to have more control over the actor so it can be used even more efficiently in abusive situations or just drop the actor and find other coping mechanisms for these situations. I tend to get out of situations very quickly, but sometimes if it’s at work or within a group, you want to finish a project before leaving or wait until you find another job/team.

• September 2, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I have been working with a psychiatrist since 1994, off and on, and have several diagnosis. Bi Polar, Chronic Depressive, PTSD, and ADHD.

The most recent was PTSD.

I don’t respond well to medications and my doctor and I usually disagree strongly on this point.

How would I go about suggesting to my doctor that I might have Dissociative Disorder?

This seems to fit my symptoms more than other the other things.

My worst symptoms is severe social anxiety that makes is impossible for me to hold down a job. I would very much like to correct this!

Thank you for posting the article.

• September 2, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Nice one Tu …For the multiples… Before I was diagnosed as PTSD, I did the “hermit crab” scuttling from one persona to another to fit my fragile ego/ ass into the latest..well I guess it was some sort of “pose”. I was as slick as hell and as genuine and brittle as pyrites…and I hated myself…..
    Its not possible to succeed at anything if you feel this way..not even suicide which stalled when I realised that the conjuction of thought and action threw up the absurd idea that I’d been there before, though the memory was absent..Suddenly there was a schism between nature and nurture, which factor had been appalling…
    I share my ignorance with a therapist who given the facts “should have known better” , and so this journey to selfhood may have been truncated by better expertise, but the fight to achieve authenticity brought out the very best in me, so let it be…
    Soo guys n gals ..try for your best..
    Its just You Hoo…As designed by That Which is Perfect and which never designed a failure…

• September 8, 2016 at 7:04 am

How does this fit with personality disorders ? There seems to be a very significant overlap. People close to me have been diagnosed with narcissistic/borderline personality disorders, with diagnoses confirmed over several decades by a number of independent psychiatrists. The features of dissociative disorders are all present, even though these people function very well in certain contexts, particularly professionally, for a lot of the time with disordered behaviour and periodic breakdowns being observed usually only by certain close family members (myself in particular). There is no particular suggestion of marked abuse in childhood, but they are very sensitive highly intelligent people with clear prolonged overpraising and overprotecting and idealisation on the part of their parents/grandparents.

• October 11, 2018 at 6:01 pm

My son has a bit of all mentioned above. He is so lost and distatched feom his normal behavior and memories. He gets in really violenr moods ans talks about suicide. It is really scary to deal with he is currently having his 4th meltdown over 20 yeara and rhis time is the worst. Ever.
    What can we do for him?

• October 11, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Hi Debra,

I am so sorry to hear what is happening with your son. As your son is talking about suicide you should take action. If you believe your son is at imminent risk you should contact 911. If you think you can do so safely, take your son to the nearest hospital emergency room yourself. If you believe your son is talking or behaving in a way that makes you believe he might attempt suicide, don’t try to handle the situation alone, get help from a trained professional as quickly as possible. Your son may need to be hospitalized until the suicidal crisis has passed. Good luck to you and your family!

• July 23, 2019 at 1:42 pm

My husband has said at times (when he’s doing something bad: taking drugs) that it is like he is watching a movie and it is not him. I’m mentally exhausted dealing with his bad behavior whenever he stresses (after a short stint of therapy he was great for 5 months but the first “opportunity” he acted out again. After doing much research on my own I found this page. He is currently in a psychiatrist office doing his intake interview but I am
    lost and confused and have no idea how to handle this. I can’t keep being victimized by him but I don’t want to turn my back on him either.

• August 5, 2019 at 11:14 pm

My husband shows all eight signs from above. we’ve been married for 14 years. He has told me little bits and pieces about his childhood but it wasn’t until recently that he fully disclosed all of the molestation and sexual abuse that he went through as a very young child. He always been able to do 6, 7, 8 things at once do them with full attention to detail we would make jokes and laugh about how he could do it but it’s been recently that I’ve noticed one minute I’m talking in my husband and one minute I’m not. I don’t know what to do I don’t know how 2 or what to say I want to be there for him I love him and I will stay by his side for the rest of my life, but what do I do as a spouse to help support him to help him know that I’m there no matter what.
    We got into a fight yesterday because he had moved something and when I asked him about it he told me no he told me that he hadn’t and he looked very confused and we ended up fighting over this small little tiny thing because I knew he moved it but he didn’t know he moved it and after couple of hours of being just irritated and mad with each other that’s when he finally told me that this happens to him a lot I’ll ask him something and he doesn’t know he doesn’t remember he is truly confused about something or I’ll mention that he said something or done something the day before and he will not recall it he doesn’t remember, he looks at me like I’m making things up and I just I don’t know what to do right now I definitely think that there’s more than two or three voices that are interacting with each other because of how he acts 1 minute to the next hour so the next day.
    I’m never scared of him he would never physically or mentally or emotionally do anything to harm me or our children ever and he knows what’s going on, he told me he can feel when it happens and when he says he can feel it next thing he knows hours have gone by.
    I’ve noticed this periodically throughout our entire marriage but it hasn’t been until recently probably the last year that it’s very noticeable and he doesn’t do weird things like that would send off huge alarm triggers or red flags to me but I’ve noticed how he’ll almost just switch as if turning on and off a light switch it’ll go from
    Playing a game on this phone to all of a sudden he’s drawing a picture now he’s drawing 2 pictures, completely different genres of pictures, at the same exact time, while writing a poem and/or lyrics to a song that he hears in his head all at the same time and he does it with the exact precision as if he was focused on one thing. he literally can do five things at once and have the concentration to be able to see each task to the end.
    He is extraordinary and he’s a wonderful husband and a wonderful father and I just want to know, if it can be told, how the right way to support him is

• August 5, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Good Evening,

I would suggest that you encourage your husband to seek counseling services to address the challenges he is experiencing (remaining present, forgetfulness, childhood trauma, etc.). Once your husband has been formally assessed by a mental health professional and the issue has been identified, it would be helpful for you to join a support group for spouses of individuals struggling with the same or similar challenges. Speak with your husband regarding your concerns while encouraging him to take the reigns on reaching out to a professional. The goal is encourage your husband to take the lead on seeking and securing treatment as well as partnering with the mental health professional to identify treatment options.