8 thoughts on “These 5 Self-Care Practices Can Save Your Life After Emotional Abuse

• September 7, 2017 at 1:54 am

I am an LPN, and I work in a nursing home. Among my clients, there are some elderly clients who have gone through psychological violence in the past, or facing emotional abuse through their own family members. I always spare some time to counsel and support these abused clients. These tips by Shahida will surely help me in my counseling. Thank you for sharing.

• September 7, 2017 at 6:04 pm

It’s been a year now, since I found Shahida Aribi’s youtube channel, and then bought her books, which showed me how to begin taking care of myself after lifelong narcissistic abuse. These tips above were similar to the ones in her books which go into a bit greater detail. In any case, they worked for me, and that self-care was the one thing that saved my life. I honestly don’t know where I might be right now if I hadn’t found Shahida, and I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

• September 7, 2017 at 11:15 pm

No contact for me was the only way to recover from a sibling. Low contact with my parents who still are in denial that the emotional abuse ever took place. They still talk about her in glowing terms and I just have to gently change the subject. There was huge pressure placed upon me to “forgive and forget” to keep the family going as a unit. However, after decades of the silent treatment, constant criticism and triangulation to name but a few things, I had had enough. I was beginning to see that my focus was being taken away from my marriage and placed onto the dysfunctions of the family. I think there will always be “traumatic residue” but I work on it every single day. Lots of education and self care have been necessary to get my life back on track.

• September 7, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for this info…I have time for meditation these days, hadn’t thought of including yoga though.
    Rest of it more or less in place,being kind with better perceptions, and most certainly not doing victim by reentering the orbit of abusers.

• February 27, 2018 at 9:51 pm

I have been married for 46 years to a man who I now know to be a narcissist. This explains all of the chaos, pain, and torment that has been my experience in this “relationship”. I am away from it now but struggle deeply with how to “lessen and loosen” myself from him. I wrestle with ‘no contact’ or ‘detached contact’. I have never known any other way and he has defined me with his control, devaluing, bullying and establishing himself as the only authority in our marriage. I asked my life coach who specializes in this type of relationship ‘how do I do this?” I have never been allowed to think for myself without it being shot down or denigrated. This blog has given me definitive, doable steps. I can do these! Feels like an incredibly long journey ahead and the way is inclear at best but I can grab ahold of these 5 practical steps. Thank you!

• February 28, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Be kind to yourself every single day. It’s taken me a very long time; at one stage I felt I couldn’t even do the grocery shopping! Always remember that you are not alone and that the hideous treatment of you was never your fault. Baby steps forward. Good luck.

• July 3, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I’m so thankful to have found your body of work!!! I wish I could have learned this three years ago, but I’m working on these skills now!

• July 6, 2018 at 6:05 pm

I am so happy to hear these articles have been helpful, Maria! Many blessings to you and your healing journey.