In my previous article I described a test used to assess for Psychosis. In this article, I will describe the basics of Psychosis. This article will describe what Psychosis is, in addition to the early warning signs of Psychosis.
What Is Psychosis?
According to nami.org, psychosis is “characterized as disruptions to a person’s thoughts and perceptions that make it difficult for them to recognize what is real and what isn’t.” What does this mean? Someone who is psychotic is out of touch with reality. To explain further, someone who is psychotic sees, hears, and believes things that aren’t real. According to nami.org, a psychotic individual may also have strange, persistent thoughts, behaviors and emotions.
What Are The Early Warning Signs Of Psychosis?
There are specific warning signs to look out for if someone is beginning to experience the early warning signs of Psychosis. According to nami.org, some of the signs include:
- A worrisome drop in grades or job performance
- For instance, a college student may be an A student and all of a sudden receive Cs or Ds or even failing grades.
- Trouble thinking clearly or concentrating
- Someone experiencing the early warning signs of psychosis may experience difficulty completing tasks.
- Suspiciousness or uneasiness with others
- He or she may become irritable or uneasy around others.
- A decline in self-care or personal hygiene
- If someone is experiencing the early warning signs of Psychosis, he or she may not get out of bed. In addition, this individual may start de-compensating.
- Spending a lot more time alone than usual
- If you notice someone spending all of his or her time alone, do not bombard them. Instead, approach them when you believe it is the right time and have a casual conversation with them. Try to figure out what is going on in his or her life.
- Strong, inappropriate emotions or having no feelings at all
- If someone has a flat affect and it appears as if he or she has no emotions, he or she may be experiencing the early warning signs of psychosis.
To conclude this article, this article has focused on what Psychosis is as well as the early warning signs of Psychosis. The early warning signs of Psychosis are not something you should take lightly. Always seek medical help if you are experiencing these symptoms. It will benefit you in the long run. Take care of your mental health.
Photo by LaShawn Wiltz