Antipsyotics are the main type of treatment for Schizophrenia. This article will describe the different type of antipsyhotics used to treat Schizophrenia. It will also describe some of the benefits and side effects of antipsychotics.
What Are The Two Classes Of Antipsychotics?
According to umm.edu, there are two types of antipsychotics, Typical antipsychotics and Atypical antipsychotics. According to umm.edu, typical antipsychotics include: include haloperidol (Haldol), chlorpromazine (Thorazine), perphenazine (Trilafon), thioridazine (Mellaril), trifluoperazine (Stelazine), and fluphenazine (Prolixin). According to http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/schizophrenia, atypical antipsychotics include: clozapine (Clozaril, generic), risperidone (Risperdal, generic), olanzapine (Zyprexa, generic), quetiapine (Seroquel), ziprasidone (Geodon), aripiprazole (Abilify), palperidone (Invega), iloperidone (Fanapt), asenapine (Saphris), and lurasidone (Latuda).
What Are The Benefits Of Atypical Antipyschotics?
According to umm.edu, the benefits of atypical antipsychotics are improved negative and positive symptoms, improved working memory and mental functioning, reduction in depression and hostility, and reduction in the risk of suicide.
What Are The Side Effects of Atypical Antipsychotics?
According to umm.edu, the side effects of atypical antipsychotics are:
- Nasal congestion or runny nose
- Drowsiness — although, sometimes the drugs may cause restlessness and insomnia
- Rapid heart beat
- Difficulty urinating
- Skin rash
- Increased body temperature
- Confusion, short-term memory problems, disorientation, and impaired attention
What Are The Benefits of Typical Antipsychotics?
According to umm.edu, the benefits of typical antipsychotics are the same as atypical antipsyhotics.
What Are The Side Effects Of Typical Antipsyhcotics?
According to umm.edu, the side effects of typical antipsychotics are:
- Sleepiness and lethargy — common in the beginning but usually decreases over time
- Insomnia and agitation
Dulling of the mind
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and heartburn
- Dry mouth and blurred vision
- Allergic reactions
- Sexual dysfunction
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome — rare, but can be fatal without prompt treatment
- Increased prolactin levels — prolactin is a hormone associated with infertility and erectile dysfunction. High levels can cause menstrual abnormalities and may increase the risk for osteoporosis and possibly breast cancer
- A sudden drop in blood pressure (hypotension)
- An increased risk of sudden cardiac death
To end this article, this article has provided readers with information on the two main types of antipsyotic medication, atypical antipsychotics and typical antipsychotics. Based on this article, it has been concluded that atypical antipsychotic medication and typical antipsychotic medication are the main source of treatment for individuals with Schizophrenia. This article has also listed the benefits and side effects of both atypical antipsychotics and typical antipsychotics. Antipsychotic medication is the main source of treatment for Schizphrenia.