7 thoughts on “7 Ways Narcissists Make You Feel Inferior

• February 19, 2020 at 11:10 pm

I have never really understood what a person gets for taking credit for something they didn’t do. How can that make a person feel good about theirself when they know it is a lie.

• February 20, 2020 at 8:13 am

In my experience, the techniques of gaslighting and causing self-doubt in others almost invariably involve downright, out-and-out, blatant lying.

In general, I feel this is not pointed out sufficiently by commentators on narcissism and therapists offering help to victims of narcissism.

One of the reasons those techniques so often succeed in their aim is precisely because both the victims and those who witness those techniques are usually unaware that they are based in complete lies and fabrications.

• July 8, 2020 at 1:20 pm

I agree. After 13 years of therapy, I think therapists are soft on this. Narcissists Lie. Period. They rewrite history ALL THE TIME. That is their stock in trade.

Commentators also are soft on this. Why? we don’t need more of this stuff. We know what they do and even more, we know the results.

• February 20, 2020 at 9:23 am

I am still getting over the fact that there are people like this and I must be aware and protect myself. I always dismissed such behavior as oh, not a big deal but boy they just keep on piling on their shit onto you and suddenly you realize what a mess you are in just because you tolerated their shit.

• February 21, 2020 at 3:19 pm

I have a younger sister who is a horrible narcissist. And she fits all seven of your points. She is abusive, throws things at people, and even hits family members. She believes she is above the law and her driving is absolutely terrifying. She tries to appear stronger, more beautiful and more dominant than everyone. But when I stand up to her, and call her out on her tangled web, she does exactly what you said: she collapses into a crying helpless victim who is being treated unjustly.

Thank you for your spot on information about narcissism, and keep up the good work!

• February 21, 2020 at 8:20 pm

The scary thing about this piece (well written, I might add) is that if we turned it into a checklist and then compared it to our current “president”, there’d be a checkmark next to nearly all (if not all) of the boxes.
    I remember when I used to look at my best friend’s husband and think that that there was nothing scarier than a narcissist who was the “head” of a household but now I know that there is something scarier…when they are the leader of the country of which you live and love. Yipes.

• August 15, 2020 at 11:06 pm

I am desperately trying to recover from two narcissists, my son’s father and then my son. 39 years all up.
    Yours and others’ writings on this subject have and continue to remind me of the astounding black vortex these persons suck and entrap us within.
    Most articles deal with partnership relationships which is tremendously helpful but can find almost nothing concerning the Mother/child relationship. I believe it is far easier for a child to manipulate their Mother and use the Mothers’ love for their own ends and can continue to do so for far longer.
    It would be wonderful to see more reproduced to assist the parent in detaching from their own child. The triangulation still occurs but between child and partner with mother-in-law as the final piece, rather than other lovers.