11 thoughts on “How Narcissists Blame and Accuse Others for Their Own Shortcomings

• August 14, 2019 at 7:15 am

What if I just happen to explain to someone why they are a narcissist and then she beats the shit out of me?

• August 14, 2019 at 8:34 am

I suggest using a firm boundary. For example, “You’re hitting / bullying / attacking me. I’m leaving for my own safety. I’ll engage with you when you can control yourself. If you can’t, I’m done with this relationship.” Then walk away.

• August 14, 2019 at 5:27 pm

You may want to have her arrested Rick. I’m not sure what your situation is however if you’re being physically abused (and it sounds like emotionally abused as well) then it may be wise to contact the authorities.

Because your situation may be dangerous (and I’m not sure how many people are involved in this abuse against you) it may be wise to report her from a distance in a safe place where you’re relatively certain that you aren’t in any immediate danger.

It’s real easy to say “just report her!” however not knowing the situation completely and again whether or not this would put you into any immediate danger, it’s possibly something to think about and plan out wisely.

I’m wishing you the best!

• August 14, 2019 at 8:32 am

It’s especially sad and vexing when someone like this is in the family, and the mother is constantly watching out for them, protecting them.

• August 14, 2019 at 10:26 am

My husband is a narcissist…his specialty is the “truncation” you describe…he will berate me for my own actions and completely disregard what they were in respnse to. Gaslighting is also one of his tools. I know that his traumatic childhood led to his Narcissistic tendencies, and I do not plan to divorce him. These articles are helpful as they counter the effects of the gaslighting…by confirming that my perceptions are accurate. Thank you.

• August 14, 2019 at 10:33 am

This really sounds like someone I hear a lot about…🤔

• August 14, 2019 at 11:23 am

Well I was raised by a narcissitic sociopath. She divorced when I was 2. Every Christmas I hoped for a heart for my mother. Of course that never happened. I loved school, that is the first place when I got praise, told that I was smart. She married 4 more times all my steps liked me, of course she told me they are just putting up with me due to her. She would never physically hurt me besides squeezing my hand or pinching. I have experienced her hitting herself and pulling her hair out in a total temper tantrum, which she blamed on my grandma. I could definitely go on and on, but it will not change anything.

• August 14, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Darius has done a good job of explaining the mechanism by which the narcissist operates and its impact on those effected by them. It is worth noting that we all have some residual narcissist tendancy from some period of our growing up. Sometimes recognizing extreme narcissist isn’t only because of the ‘projection’ Darius refers to but because at some level there is some level of residual guilt. That is perfectly normal in my opinion because the conscious awareness of discomfort can be understood and is probably a healthy reflection on what was a passing phase and not strictly speaking a condition.

• August 14, 2019 at 2:35 pm

BOOM!

• August 14, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Sounds like Trump in every way !