15 thoughts on “How Narcissists React to Information About Narcissism

• November 14, 2018 at 11:17 am

Sometimes I wonder if my grand daughter is right by saying I am narcissistic. I don’t know if it is from what my estranged youngest daughter told her about me which I have constantly denied. My oldest daughter is bi polar so what comes out of her mouth I most times just ignore. Her daughter and my other oldest grand daughter and grandsons get along great. I went through a horrible child hood of being sexually assaulted by family members and treated like crap by my mother who constantly told me that she didn’t love me and didn’t want me but my father always treated me like a princes and always told me that I was such a strong girl that I would make something good out of my life. Something I have always strive to do. I know I sufficed my children as I loved them so much I didn’t want them to get hurt like I did growing up but I sure as hell wished I had realized that when I was raising them as maybe things would have been different for us today. My oldest son just before he passed away told me that he was sorry he listened to my daughters and treated me like crap as they did because I was always there for him even after all the nasty things he did to me. I tell you I cried like a baby when he told me that my daughters were the ones with the problems not me. I still cry when I think of what he said to me that night.i am forever there for people who need someone in their lives and I stay away from people who are negative as I learned a long time ago that you can’t help people who don’t want to be helped. I lived on the streets for a long time from the age of 13 as it was better to be on the streets than be in the same house as my mother and her abuse. One day our church was looking for someone to drive the kids to the recent center and back so I volunteered. My great grandson asked me who I was as I would give him money for his bit days and for Christmas so I told him I was his great grandmother not knowing that my grand daughter my youngest daughters daughter told her about the courts giving my sole custody of all her kids and called her unfit but she never told my great grandson about me. He asked me why his mother never told him about me so I told him that he had to ask her as I believe it had something to do about his grandmother would have a fit if I got into their life. Anyway when he got home apparently he asked her and she went into a total fit and texted me calling me a narcissistic bitch as I wasn’t supposed to be allowed in his life and didn’t want him to know I even existed. She said she told them at the church that I wasn’t allowed to be near him but they never told me anything about that mist likely because they were desparate to get a driver. I tried to explain that to her but all she said again is right just like a narssisistic bitch blame everyone else and stay away from my son as I don’t want him near you and then blocked me. I never tried to contact him as I didn’t want to create havoc any more than had happened. My younger son has been trying to tell her that whatever his sister her mother had told her that was so evil about me wasn’t true but she was so brainwashed when she went back to live with her mother that she just doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. I raised her oldest brother as her mother didn’t want him back as he is FAST, ADHD and conduct behavior disorder and to much of a problem now he also suffers from reactive detachment disorder and has been a holy terror but I love him and always will be here for him. He is now 34 years old and was just dumped by his fiance as she is fed up with his antics so now he is back at feeling abandoned again. I told him that she wasn’t worth getting upset over as she waited until they were ready to get married to decide to walk out. I made sure he knew that I will always be here for him till the day I die and at age 75 it can happen at any time and then he will have no one to love him like I do and that scares me as he has always relied on my being there to have his back. Well as I said I wonder if I am a narssistic bitch like my grand daughter says I am. I am well respected by people and keep getting told I have to stop being an enabler and start seeing people for what they are. Is saying how I see things and being there for people in need and caring about the people around me being narssistic. My youngest daughter and her daughter are the only ones who claim this.

• November 14, 2018 at 12:56 pm

He reacted with narcissistic rage, when I responded to his adamant fact with “is that what you think?” As though I was supposed to believe what he claimed to be the absolute truth. How dare I believe something different than him!

• November 16, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for providing this information. For those of us who love a narcissistic, the road is long and hard but your articles, as well of those by others, help keep us as sane as possible.

• November 17, 2018 at 6:43 am

What about a narcissist who hangs onto a single word/words and runs with it?

Great articles by the way.

• November 17, 2018 at 4:01 pm

It was the narcissist in my life (fiance) that brought me an article on narcissism and said, I think this is me, was sad depressed, looking for reassurance, when I read and said yes, this sounds like you she cried and begged me to help her find help, I saw hope and promise from this conversation. The next day it was like it had never happened and back to the same old abusive ‘victim’ she has always been (I see that now, but not then). Fast forward 2 years and I have researched tons on narcissism and narcs and know all the games they play. I finally had enough and left without a word on a random day. 7 months and 20 days of no contact and I am still so heartbroken and trying to undo the damage she caused me over the 7 years we were together.

• November 18, 2018 at 10:14 am

Hang in there, Trisha! I was with my narcissist partner for 17 years (raised a family with him!) And now, 1 year and a half since I left him (and with lots of counseling and hard work), I am happier than I’ve ever been!! Single, free, and loving life! You will get there too. Just keep looking forward, not back.

• November 17, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I love your work your Information is so spot on

• November 18, 2018 at 10:22 am

I saw ALL of these behaviors, repeatedly, from my narcissist partner of 17 years. When my physical and mental health hit a point where it was a struggle to even get out of bed in the morning, and my young teen daughter said I should leave her father, I FINALLY realized I needed to get out. It took me 6 months of secretly planning my escape, but I finally did it. Now, a year and a half later, I feel like a completely new person. Happy and at peace. Mentally and emotionally healthier. Still healing, but I am free!
    **My daughter is also much happier and healthier.

• November 21, 2018 at 7:18 am

According to this site’s take on all the behavioural traits that point towards narcissism, we are ALL narcissistic.

Then, I’ve noticed that if anyone comments negatively in some way about the site’s articles, the view is put forward that they themselves are narcissistic as revealed by their reply.

Everyone I’ve ever met has displayed, to some degree or other, narcissistic behaviour.
    It’s actually just human behaviour.

I guess you’re thinking now that I’m a narcisist. All this labelling and lumping people into categories… does anyone else think that there’s something very wrong about doing this?

Psychologists do so much damage when they set out to convince people that they’re this or that — when in fact, they’re just normal human traits.

• November 27, 2018 at 2:40 pm

There is a huge difference between narcissistic behavior and normal human behavior. Perhaps, do some more reading on it if the article doesn’t clear it up enough for you…

• December 3, 2018 at 7:26 am

Hi. Great article. I’m trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my sister. She is mean and hateful and has disowned many family members and friends, permanent and harshly) She has always been arrogant, self righteous. People admit to fearing her, I did too until recently. She gossips to hurt others and shes quiet convincing until she did about me to me. I thought she was nuts. Then she throws God in, talks like a true Christian but in reality her “walk” is more like a slither. Well I knew it would be just a matter of time, I became her next victim. We no longer talk but since I fear her no more I want to confront her. She has done this her whole life and she needs to be held accountable. She has hurt so many people and doesn’t show an ounce of remorse. She makes me sick. I’m just unsure if this is what she has as I’m not trained in this area. However she has been know to diagnose others. If she reads a book on a particular topic she suddenly behaves as if she has earned initials behind her name. Anyway, you wrote that they get worse with age and I just finished an article that said the exact opposite. Here is the link to the article I read regarding it lessens with age. Maybe its me, I’m not understanding it correctly. Thx. Second thought, i dont want to break any “rules” or come across like I’m starting something (I’m not) but just to be on the safe side…lol I can send you the link another way if you are interested. I appreciate what you wrote, sure sounds like her. Rae

• March 20, 2019 at 3:24 am

Thank you very much for your articles on this topic! They are most helpful. Your work is healing. One question : Does regularly pointing out their existing good sides, or real good deeds when those appear help them in strengthening their damaged self-esteem and provide them a genuine thread to hold and follow?

• January 29, 2020 at 9:44 pm

What if a person admits they are a narcissist and says they are proud of it because they do everything better than everyone else?
    And also blames all the women in his past for leaving him saying they were all nuts and that none of them will ever be able to replace him.