6 thoughts on “5 Reasons Why Psychoanalysis Is One of The Best Treatments For Early Childhood Trauma

• July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm

DOes any therapy work as advertised?

• July 21, 2015 at 8:50 am

Hi there,
      I truly hope that my articles don’t sound like an advertisement but if they do, I apologize. My hope is to speak about psychoanalysis in a way that makes it more accessible to people as there are many myths and misunderstandings about it even among mental health professionals.
      But I can appreciate your comment and the frustration that may come with reading about therapy and everyone telling you that their approach works best. In my opinion, it is the relationship with a treating professional that matters most, not so much what modality they use. If they are good at what they do, therapy will probably be successful.

• November 19, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Hi! You write: “The first step is to gather up some courage, make an appointment with a psychoanalytic psychotherapist and just get started on getting to know them and building a therapeutic rapport.” But I’m really curious. How is one supposed to ‘get to know’ one’s therapist while observing boundaries? I mean, after five years, all I know about my psychoanalyst is his name. And that’s it. He very rarely speaks. I’m on a couch most of the time so don’t get very much non-verbal feedback. What does it mean to ‘get to know’ someone in circumstances like these?

• December 5, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Hi Jorden,
      I suppose you are right that you don’t really get to know your analyst. I think I was referring to a psychoanalytic psychotherapist, which is a bit different. Once you have made an appointment and have been working with that person for awhile, then you could discuss whether or not going into psychoanalysis is what you want to do. In your case, it sounds like you have been “on the couch” for awhile and maybe there is a statement in your comment about not knowing much about your analyst?

• September 6, 2018 at 10:50 pm

If you’ve lived with this sort of thing your entire life, then you already have courage.

• September 30, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Ken,
      I couldn’t agree with you more. It is always humbling to witness people’s resiliency and strength and accompany them in their healing journey.