6 thoughts on “Why Forgiveness is a Major Part of Relationship Success

• August 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’d say forgiveness is the major key in happiness and success at anything.

• August 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I think, even more powerful than asking for forgiveness, is to define what we are willing to do differently so the injury or offense is prevented from happening again. I made a handout for my work in psychotherapy called, I’m Sorry vs. What I Wish I Would Have Done Differently. This helps my clients know the importance of plotting out a plan and declaring the plan to the injured party. Two benefits occur. First, I have to design a strategy for living that prevents wounding the person I love. Secondly, the person I’ve wounded sees I’m serious about protecting them in the future. Forgiveness is essential to personal happiness. A stated plan for right relationship is essential for building a trusting in partnership.

• August 22, 2011 at 10:47 am

Elsbeth,

Thanks so much for offering this contribution to the post! This is a wonderful and practical idea that can lead to more likely application of forgiveness. Thanks again for sharing!

• August 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

We are all humans,no one is perfect & we all have habits that might be irritating others. Therefore if we keep a log book of others’aggravations towards us we would be left friendless.It is this thought which motivates me to forgive, forget & move on .

• December 21, 2011 at 9:41 am

Should we forgive people who don’t say they’re sorry?

How can forgive someone who doesn’t admit, or try to understand, that they’ve done wrong?

• January 17, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Hi,

I read your article and found it very informative. However, can you please elaborate on what forgiveness ‘looks like’ within a relationship. Does it mean you ‘forget’?

What does it mean if you’ve apologized and you were told your apology was accepted, but then every time you do anything – the thing you were ‘forgiven’ for resurfaces?

I was told by this person that how it works for them is that when new things happens, it is like tearing the Band-Aid off of an old wound.

Is this relationship a lost cause?

Help!