Moving is hell and so is ADHD and trying to pack. At least this time I put similar things in boxes together and even went so far as labeling them. A week after I packed I got a call from my landlord that I’d left a cabinet full of spices there. With a three hour round trip and no other reason to visit, I asked her if she needed any spices. She was happy to keep them and I was happy to buy new ones locally. I had packed all the food last after the dishes and the lower cupboards in the kitchen. At that point I was tired and ready to go.
When I’m tired and stressed to complete something my focus tends to hit an all time low. The importance of the task doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. I could be shoveling out duck poo from the coop or packing my beloved bamboo knitting needles in sets for a long trip home and my focus requirements are the same. But if those tasks are rushed I quickly becomes flustered and lose my ability to focus and the chances of throwing out my back with a heavy shovel of shavings or losing a knitting needle increases. Add on a lousy night’s sleep and I’m very likely to have a rough time indeed.
To keep it together in times of stress with an ever changing schedule I try to balance things out. Here is a list of things I do to improve my focus and reduce stress:
- Get a good night’s rest by taking doctor recommended over-the-counter melatonin
- Going to bed and waking up and regular times
- Allowing myself enough time to rest
- Not drinking caffeinated or sugar rich beverages the few hours prior to bed
- Seeking ways to complete tasks that are easier on my body
- Making lists of tasks in short steps to help organize what needs to be done
- Figure out how much time is needed for tasks and estimate longer to leave wiggle room
- Resting in between tasks even if just for a few minutes
- Planning tasks in order of importance and productively (outdoor chores followed by indoor chores)
- Asking for help when I need it and can get it
- Doing things ahead as I can
- Putting things off if I’m stressed and if it won’t add more stress later
Moving is pure insanity, but with organization and lot of boxes it can be done with little stress—even if a few spices are lost along the way.