9 thoughts on “Sloppy And Scattered: This Is Your Brain On Grief

• August 15, 2014 at 8:13 am

The only way out, is through! And meditation.

• August 15, 2014 at 8:14 am

We’llof course lots of time. If you can give yourself time to let the grief be a teacher. After all sorts of therapy Prozac actually gave me what I need to get out of my blues and into life. I have been very blessed because while I felt as if I had done all my emotional work I needed something to catapult me into freedom to create a new life and career for myself …alone. So I say with happiness it was right for me and came because I had hit menopause and needed to try to curb the hot flashes. I believe in the process of life and that if you do build all the right things come if you can see them….that of course is the quest when you are in grief….grief is part of love and you cannot have one without the other…so I honor it.

• August 16, 2014 at 1:45 am

I get what you’re saying and am glad to see it put into words. My Dad commited suicide 3 years ago and I have a seriously ill husband and a mother who has dementia. Muddled thoughts should be my middle name. Some days I can get it together and other days I can’t. Meditation has saved me at times and helped me sleep. One day at a time and at times one hour at a time.

• August 16, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Summer- I love reading your new posts. When I noticed that you had not only one new post but two….it brought a smile to my face. 🙂 I struggle with both depression and anxiety…..and your posts help me to realize that I’m not alone. If you ever complete the posts regarding crisis mental health services, I’m definitely interested in reading about your experiences because I have always found them lacking. I hope the grief is beginning to ease or at the very least, you’ve been able to surround yourself with warm, caring, and supportive people. I wish you all the best.

• August 17, 2014 at 3:55 am

I suffer from anxiety and depression too and am in the same place after the death of my brother (who was the last of my family) and I can’t wait to hear what has helped you. I am trying to work on meditation and accepting feelings without letting them bury me. I wish I had some great tips, but I don’t right now. I admire you so much and love reading your posts. Sending you a big hug.

• October 13, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I hear you. It’s been almost 7 months since the passing of my partner of 24 years and I want to silly slap the next well meaning friend or relative who use the words ” moving on, moving forward, better place, count your blessings, you’re so strong,” etc. Bullshit….this HURTS.
    That being said, I find that pouring my heart and soul out as postings on Facebook help me…I think….it certainly doesn’t hurt me and most of them will know when they can or should not call or knock on my door. Grief is an isolating and a solitary road and only those of us who have lost someone significant can understand how overwhelming the hours can be…day after day, week after week …trying to come to terms with the loss to be able to live with it as best they can. Take care.

• April 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Bravo and congrats for the obit on the national news! I for one agree that my parents both deserve the same, I’d love to know how you managed to accomplish this for your Dad, Bravo for you! And like that corny quote in “Steel Magnolias” they said “what doesn’t kill you makes you grow stronger”. Totally sounds like B.S., but the older you get you soon realize that a lot of that stuff is true.

• June 1, 2015 at 12:28 pm

My mom died several months ago. Our relationship was strained and distant. I have made an effort to not let that weigh me down, to not get burdened by guilt. I choose to remember what was right about our relationship. She was a great mom in so many ways for so many years, especially when I was growing up. When the image of her dying in the hospital bed comes to mind, I switch over to remembering her alive, laughing, dancing at my wedding, being so warm and inviting with my friends. This is after allowing myself to really grieve hard that her vibrant life came down to a very difficult end. I let myself appreciate how loving and generous she was in the ways that mattered, in the ways that helped me to develop into a healthy, fully independent adult. I simply choose to focus on the love and forget the irritations that came between us. Because we were human and so many parent-child relationships are plagued with what we wish we had done, I give myself, and her, a break for letting complicated emotions blur the bond that we both know was there. I hope this helps ease your grief somewhat.

• December 13, 2018 at 2:03 am

Certainly what the first person said “the only way out is through”. But I will sometimes sing worship music and that tends to calm me down. Oh and leaving the jumble of muck at Jesus’s feet so he can deal with it cause i can’t seem too. That helps a lot.