20 thoughts on “The ‘Most Relaxing Tune Ever’, According to… Science?

• February 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Enjoyed the article but the song did not do it for me. I prefer “The Way” by Global Communication. And for pure relaxation try out the whisperer scene on YouTube (e.g. Gentlewhispering ).

• February 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Cool…thanks for the tips. I’ll check those songs out.

• February 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

The heartbeat sounding part makes me very anxious since I really do not like hearing heartbeats (I never have been soothed by that sound or people’s actual heartbeats). The rather mixed bag of tones, various instruments and notes is disturbing also. I do a lot better with a set of DVDs from Transparent Corporation that feature delta waves. Especially the Sleep System Comprehensive. I am not advertising them but have found them helpful for my insomnia and not much else has ever helped. I am about to try Stress Eraser.

• February 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yeah, heartbeats have always given me problems too. When I hear them, I just think about my *own* heart and I become more aware of every tiny transgression — say, an increase in heart rate when I stand up or perhaps a skipped beat or palp if I’m nervous — and it doesn’t do me much good.

• February 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I enjoy slow ambient music especially instrumental and the right music can be very relaxing and soothing but this song was agitating and nothing to it. It doesnt even sound like music to me. What a dissapointment.

• February 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Laurie! Seems to be the opinion of the day — not too many folks are digging it. Do you have any alternate selections you’d be willing to share? I think I’m going to do a “people’s choice” post soon.

• February 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The soundtrack from the movie Somewhere in Time is a favorite. The last song on the cd is the best. Kenny G is another. The soundtrack from the movie The Prince of Tides…I have several I enjoy and find relaxing.

• February 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I didn’t like the heartbeat at all. I couldn’t even listen to the whole recording, it seemed oppressive to me, not soft. If you want to listen to some REALLY relaxing music try Liquid Mind. The composer had problems with stress and overwork, so he created it to soothe himself. The album I like best is called “Slow World”. You can listen to samples of the music on Amazon.

• February 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’ll check them out.

• February 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I thought I submitted my comment, but didn’t see it. Hope this won’t get posted twice. The first thing I noticed was the heartbeat and I hated it. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the recording at first. To me the music was harsh and oppressive, not soft and soothing. If you want REALLY relaxing music, try Liquid Mind. The composer had stress and overwork problems so he created it to soothe himself. My favorite album of his is “Slow World”. I meditate to it all the time. You can hear samples of Liquid Mind on Amazon. I’d love to know your reaction.

• February 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hi Cee! Yup, I received your other comment but it was stuck in the approval queue — I’ve released it for you. I’ll be making a post (sometime next week, I hope) with everyone’s relaxing musical recommendations…yours included! 🙂

• February 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’m not ready to sleep but I like it. It is very atmospheric – I can imagine myself on a tall mountaintop without a care and envisioning all of this world and the universe. It also reminds me of some of Vangelis’ music for the movie Blade Runner.

• February 16, 2012 at 10:47 pm

What heartbeat?
    Liked this very much.

• February 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I didn’t find this relaxing at all – found it rather strident and jarring. If I want relaxing, I listen to rain or beautiful piano music – that never fails to calm me and slow my heart rate.

• March 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

If I have trouble falling asleep I will listen to one of my binaural beats programs. My favorite (this may sound strange) is an audio from one of my anxiety collection. It’s not even a meditation but an explanation of anxiety and the man’s voice is so mundane it puts me to sleep!

• March 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yeah, mundane voices are always great sleep-inducers. 🙂

• March 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Summer, any updates on how you like the music suggestions in the comments?

• March 15, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yup! Here are my thoughts:

Global Communication, “The Way”: Not sure I’m listening to the right version. This one (on YouTube) makes me feel like I’m shopping at The Gap circa 2001.

The “gentlewhispering” channel on YouTube: nah. Nothing here really seems relaxing to me.

The BEGINNING of the “Somewhere in Time” theme song is great, but it gets loud and fanciful. (I didn’t give the entire thing a listen.)

I DEFINITELY liked what I listened to of Liquid Mind. “Breathe in me” is one of the first ones I checked out…and I LOVE that there are so many YouTube playlists for them. I had one playing as background music in my bedroom a few nights after your comment!

I also remembered how much I enjoy this band and their slower stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yTbRHzbSGM

• March 16, 2012 at 5:59 am

Isn’t it amazing how much music can affect your mood? In addition to easing anxiety, I use it to lift my depression. It distracts me from my ruminations. I never thought of YouTube for listening to the suggestions. I’ll check it out right away. I could use some mood improvement right now. Glad you liked the Liquid Mind music.

• November 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I had actually saved this song to a playlist I had created full of songs thank I found relaxing a few months back. After reading this post, I revisited it (and a lot has changed since I first listened it it) and I couldn’t bare it, brought back some not so great reminders of panic attacks. If I am ever having a problem falling asleep, I listen to Ben Howard’s album Every Kingdom. It has worked wonders for me for so long, I love it.