Q & A: What Practices Encompass Your Way Of Life?
The purpose of this website, my book, and the Community Education course I teach at the College of Marin, is to teach people how to live a vibrant, meaningful life through the cultivation of self-empowerment and self-efficacy. In this monthly Q&A column, I post questions from students and from people who attend my presentations along with my answers.
Here is this month’s question:
QUESTION: You have written about practice being a way of life—something to practice throughout the day. What are the main practices that encompass this way of life?
ANSWER: When you make the following practices into a way of life, the quality of your life will improve.
- Ask yourself: What is my state of mind (felt bodily)?
- What belief am I holding that is making me feel the way I’m feeling?
- Is it based on fact?
- If unable to quickly & easily disprove the unhealthy belief, then go to step 5.
- Accept and welcome whatever you are experiencing. The more fully present you can be with the unpleasant state of mind, the sooner you will feel better.
- All processes can be enhanced with slow diaphragmatic breathing.
- Follow sensations of breathing.
Get a FREE Preview of the first 3 Chapters
of “In Your Own Hands…”
Berkelhammer, D. (2017). Q & A: What Practices Encompass Your Way Of Life?. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 20, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/own-hands/2017/09/what-practices-encompass-your-way-of-life/