Comments on
Dealing with OCD Guilt

I still struggle a lot with OCD guilt. You know the kind I’m talking about — guilt over things that either no one else cares about, or that happened decades ago and you can’t change now,

7 thoughts on “Dealing with OCD Guilt

• March 17, 2016 at 1:41 am

I have just become aware of this as a major aspect of my OCD. The anxiety I knew was OCD but I am seeing more and more about guilt and OCD. Guilt has also interfered with my life in so many ways and recently I decided to treat it like the anxiety. Accept the anxiety. In this case, accept the guilt but do not do things out of guilt.I am finding it very challenging. I went through ERP and use ACT and feel pretty comfortable with how to deal with anxiety. I am doing really well with it actually. But guilt? My mind thinks – guilt is a good thing. If I didn’t have guilt I would not be a good person. I worry a lot about being a good person and about not hurting other people’s feelings. But I have stayed in unhealthy situations out of guilt and done things I don’t want to do out of guilt. I realized recently it is not working. And then I find all of these articles about guilt and OCD and hyperresponsiblity. It was like – OH! This explains everything.

• March 17, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Hi, India! I definitely sympathize. It’s a lot easier to separate myself from anxiety than guilt, too. I can see anxiety as just an emotion I am having that will pass, but for some reason, guilt feels like something I deserve and need to wallow in, when really that’s not healthy at all. It’s hard! But I am confident that I just need to get the hang of treating guilt the way we would any other OCD symptom, like you said in your comment. I hope we both get there soon!

• March 17, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Yes. I really like your blog, Kyla. I am so grateful that the internet makes it possible for people with OCD to communicate now. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago and it was not as easy then. I did try at that time to look for resources on the internet but there was just not as much. I felt really alone with this until about 2 years ago when I finally found a therapist who understands and could treat OCD and then started finding lots of resources online. The information you are sharing can really help a lot of people. 🙂 Have a good day.

• March 17, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Oh wow, thank you so much! I found so much help from others with OCD when I was first diagnosed, I’m glad I get to “pay it forward” a little – or try, anyway.

• March 17, 2016 at 4:21 pm

🙂

• March 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm

I have had moderate luck with journaling (especially night time guilts) and moderate luck with “confessions” to my partner, who is aware of my OCD/Anxiety and usually hits the fine balance between accepting me as I am but not letting me wallow. I know how luck I am in that.
    I have a long way to go, but every little bit helps.
    Thanks for your blog. Normalization of behaviour helps.

• March 19, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Hi, Kat. Journaling sounds like a great idea. I have always had a fear of writing down any of my OCD thoughts, but this might be an exposure-type thing, too. Thank you for the idea! I’m glad you have a supportive partner, I’m sure that helps a lot.