7 thoughts on “The Pros and Cons of Psychotropic Medications

• August 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

It is not true that these drugs works QUICKLY.
    This article has nothing to do with the experience of people who take them.
    It would be amazing if the vast majority of what is published about psychiatric drugs reported what really happens but it is the opposite.

• August 30, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Ana, thanks for your comment–and the quick judgment. The article has everything to with the often empty promises about what medication is “supposed” to do (make people feel better) and the fact that the medications DON’T work quickly (unless you happen to react very idiosyncratically to them). It also has everything to do with the fact that most of the medications make people feel much worse and have incredibly negative effects for many. On the other hand, for the people for whom they DO work, and who CAN tolerate them, great. So, I disagree: this article has everything to do with the experience of many (but not all) people who take them. Some of my friends who take psychotropic meds wouldn’t quit them for anything because their lives are much better. Some hate them, others feel they have no choice. My friends who have no insurance (fall through the cracks) can’t afford the ones they’ve come to rely on after years of taking them.

• August 31, 2014 at 10:55 am

Hi Epower,

The article is another one of those numerous written by experts that are sat on the fence.

It is not an in depth analysis of anything.
        I’m sorry but as iatrogenesis is the third cause of death in US there is no time for this kind of approach for me.

I’m glad your friends have a good response with these meds.
        But this is anecdote evidence from a third part.
        I just wonder how a person who were prescribed these expensive drugs cope with withdrawal symptoms when they don’t have the money to buy them anymore – as happened to some of your friends

Let’s assume they are taking Seroquel or a SSRI: I’m sure you know the consequences stop taking these drugs cold turkey.

This excerpt:

“How do we change these experiences that then become our brain’s new normal, which then in turn influences our future experiences? Well, medication can—and for many—does help, especially when it’s a medication that works without being dulling or causing more toxic side effects.”

The capability of uniting the two opposite sides leads nowhere.
        There is enough evidence

• August 31, 2014 at 2:22 am

“We’re, ahem, lazy. Yes, that bothers me. And similar is true of medications prescribed to treat people diagnosed with mental illness. It may be much easier to believe the promise of a pill than it is to do the hard work that would allow you (and me…) to act like other people act without medication.”

I could not disagree more with your statements. Taking medication is not an easy or lazy way out. It requires patience to go through a fair trial of taking a medication long enough and adjusting dosage. It requires assessing side effects if they occur and waiting to see if they resolve. It requires making the necessary observations and communicating with your doctor. It may require trying different medications to find one what fits well for you. And if you feel miserable enough from your depression, it may not be particularly easy to even believe a medication is going to help you; you make a leap of faith and give it a go because you’re that desperate.

Also, most people I know who take medication either see or have seen therapists. They try to employ strategies in their lives to help them cope with their anxiety or mood disorders (exercise, eating well, hobbies, etc.).

I do know several people whose lives have literally been saved by medication.

• September 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Martina, I do not imply that taking medication is an “easy or lazy way out”–it can indeed take as much effort to tweak dosage, manage responses and cope with that as it does for those of us for whom medication isn’t an answer. I imply that whether or not medication is a possibility/help it is ALSO just as important and perhaps more difficult to do the REST of the work: to practice changing thoughts, feelings, and actions on a daily basis. Whether a person manages symptoms with changes in diet, sleep, activity and/or medication, these other areas must also be reshaped. I apologize for leaving room for such an interpretation, which would be pretty insulting if I were someone for whom medication is helpful!

• August 31, 2014 at 11:01 am

– I clicked on “Submit” by accident before finishing.

There is enough evidence showing the the risks outweigh the benefits and the prescription of some of these drugs can be considered as crime against humanity.

Time will tell.

People who work for governmental institutions are biased.

• September 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Ana Luiza, I am glad your life is so greatly enhanced by medication–and much of what you say is ALSO true. This isn’t an either-or conversation, it’s an AND. Glad the meds are part of your world; please be willing to hear that there are others who are intolerant, or allergic, or for whom side effects are so strong they make it not possible to take meds. BTW, I don’t work for a government institution–I’m self-employed because I don’t do well in other situations. And, I’m one of those who tries meds periodically and my body doesn’t seem to tolerate any one of them well enough to make the benefits outweigh the results! I do better with changes and management in diet, sleep, exercise.