39 thoughts on “The Fight Over Facemasks

• July 15, 2020 at 6:36 am

Well, I saw this fight coming. When you have a country half full of uneducated rednecks who’d vote in a fool like Donald tRump as their president, you can expect large-scale insanity in other walks of life, too.

• July 16, 2020 at 4:48 am

100% agree

• July 16, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Roger, Is there no place safe from your derogatory Donald tRump comments. Very junior high in your comments. You sound like a 13 year old boy who just learned a new dirty word. Not a way to start a convincing argument. You discredit yourself.
      Many of us uneducated rednecks are quite knowledgeable. We skipped the leftist social engineering of university life and went straight to the world of true life education.
      Many of us read, even voraciously, and learn the truth about COVID-19 and see how it is being used as a political football. Herd immunity will come when 60+% of the community has been exposed, not by hiding. The vaccine will not save the planet. The flu vaccine is only 10% to 45% effective in the best years. A COVID-19 vaccine will not be any better. We have COVID-19 for the long haul. Herd immunity is the solution.
      We just owe others their space by not invading that space and not breathing in their face as we walk by when they do not make space available. I’ve even held my breath for the 2 seconds it takes to sneak past people hiding behind their masks but leaving no space to pass.

• July 17, 2020 at 3:50 am

You are not well educated yourself. Trump IS the worst president in history, he has failed at so many things! He cant even get his spelling and grammar correct on his twitter! This impeached so-called president must go! We will never get this virus under control with him and his administration in office!

• July 17, 2020 at 11:57 am

Trump is arguably the greatest president/leader of all time from my perspective and I’m not even an American. So you see, many of us are seeing things quite differently.

Trump supporters see his haters as being deceived, while the media and his haters appear to see him and his supporters as being evil.

The Media, Academia and Big Tech has been complicit in ignoring America’s problems that stem from permitting China into world trade and are directly threatened by Trump and his followers.

I would only advise that you observe that both sides of this debate have a completely congruent view of what’s happening that are completely unaligned with one another. One side is clearly lying. Not both.

Our goal should be to shore up the differences and meet in the middle were we actually care about what is true. Be the mature person in an increasingly polarized world. Headlines should not dictate your opinion. Know yourself, know your values and apply them to an increasingly deceptive world.

• July 17, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Awakening can be a painful journey, it can also be a beautiful journey and everything in between.
        Covid 19 is I believe a representation of a battle in conciousness and we are all playing our part. I understand the confusion, the anger and frustration as this plays out. I myself feel frustrated at times, and I am grateful to be able to see the necessity of this “play” we find ourselves part of. There is a lot that needs unmasking and much of it will not be believed at first. I Pray and meditate for the greatest , highest good for all and trust that this unfolding now. Trump needs blessings, not hatings.
        Ask yourself… what if everything I believed was not true ? That question set me on the path of discovery. 🙏💚

• July 28, 2020 at 8:17 am

Well stated!

• July 17, 2020 at 4:01 pm

You are going to complain about thumb spelling (covfefe rather than coverage) on Twitter where spelling was thrown out in the very beginning. That is like telling the Captain of the Titanic he needed to spend time organizing chairs. Add the perverted filter of Trump by CNN and MSNBC that add their own vicious spin on every word and it is not unexpected for people like you to have such distorted ideas.

Trump is stuck between conflicting medical/science/data perspectives.
        I like what Dr Atlas at Stanford/Hoover has to say.

• July 16, 2020 at 6:03 pm

You would rather have a bumbling idiot like Biden, who hides in his basement? Democrats are what is wrong with this country!

• July 15, 2020 at 7:37 am

I rather agree, Facemasks are a focal point and focus anger that is simmering behind. Many people are angry about this pandemic, most of which is unfocused, as logically it is difficult to place blame anywhere. I have seen it with our Carers, they work very hard but can get sloppy with their PPE, but if one points this out they get very defensive and a row quickly develops, because of the latent anger. It is a behaviour the gov should be aware of and planning for but I suspect is not.

• July 15, 2020 at 7:58 am

Thank you for a valuable approach to this topic. Seems that our adult presence, and our dialogue skills are being called upon. However, the “dumbing-down” effect of the crisis on our survival circuitry, makes that very challenging.

• July 15, 2020 at 8:51 am

Good article except I think the anger over face masks is nothing more than people think they are privileged and don’t like being told what to do.

• July 16, 2020 at 11:31 am

very true, Bonnie, some folks will automatically resist the “government” telling them to do something, claiming they are taking away their personal freedom.

• July 17, 2020 at 11:59 am

It is not justified to ask a person to wear a mask when social distancing is possible. Otherwise, of course wear a mask.

• July 17, 2020 at 1:33 pm

You are so right

• July 15, 2020 at 9:02 am

Thanks for writing. When you wrote that masks are worn where there is a high risk of spreading germs, it clicked for me, I had been feeling a sort of ‘mask shame’, wearing one out and then seeing no one else wearing one (feeling compelled to take it off!) However, thinking about it from a scientific perspective is helpful, and I want to help so I will keep on masking up.

• July 15, 2020 at 9:03 am

You bring up some good points regarding anxiety. I have close friends and relatives who have gone ballistic over the issue of facemasks. They’ve said things to me personally I know they would never say under normal circumstances. One relative, in particular, said some very hurtful things to say, no scream, at me over my choice to not wear a mask. I have no problem with others wearing or not wearing a mask. People need to do what feels right for them and their health situation. I do all of the other things we’re asked to do, social distance, hand washing, etc. I just don’t wear a mask unless it’s required at the Dr.’s office, salon, etc. I live in a rural area that’s not a hotspot and the facemask wearing is about 50-50 here. Those who are screaming at me about my choice live in more metro areas and one, in particular, is a cancer survivor. So, I totally get their choice to wear masks. I’ve just thought their rage is coming from a place of fear – fear of the virus, fear of dying, fear of loved ones dying from it, etc. I still think that, but I also think your points about stress and anxiety, feeling of a loss of control, and deep anger are also very valid. Thanks for the article.

• July 16, 2020 at 11:27 am

Part of the problem with mask wearing is that there probably has not been enough explanation, in the simplest terms possible.

My wearing a mask does not protect me from someone else sneezing, coughing, laughing, or whatever expels stuff from the non-mask wearer.
      Mask wearers wear the mask do so to protect others from their own sneezing, coughing, etc.

And the mindset that “oh, I don’t have the virus, I’m safe” is not a good mindset. The virus takes up to 2 weeks for symptoms to appear. And you thinking that you haven’t been around anyone who has the virus is not a good mindset. Since it takes up to 2 weeks for symptoms to appear, you can’t have any idea if the people you have contact with have the virus or not.

If someone not wearing a mask and has any reason to be within my 6 foot radiance, I will explain this to them, and then ask them to please have concern for for mine and other’s safety.

• August 16, 2020 at 12:03 pm

I understand that as a society we have an unstated moral obligation to take care of each other & we should never knowingly/willingly allow our behavior to directly or indirectly harm others.

Having said that, there is a much bigger picture here of what constitutes harm to others. The “authorities” have flip-flopped REPEATEDLY and also DISAGREE AMONGST THEMSELVES on BASIC safety standards, leaving the interpretation of whom to believe up to the individual. Hence, the fierce debate between people who all are acting from an innate urge to do the right thing.

The “do it for them” slogan makes for a good marketing jingle but is not scientifically persuasive.

Do you remember when you were a kid and went out in the winter and wore your scarf over your face to keep warm? Remember how gross it got? Remember knowing intuitively that this “mask” became kinda germy & maybe adults told you to give it here so they could wash it?

Well that’s what the basis of this argument is all about. Your “scarf mask“ did absolutely nothing to protect your buddies from your germs. It would be ridiculous to think that you were saving the life of your buddy on a sled halfway down the hill. And it certainly would take the joy out of the moment if everyone out there that day was focused on keeping that stankin’ mask on and staying away from each other instead of playing together, being in the moment, having real fun.

I may be an old fogie pining for days of innocence past, but I have enough science background and life experience believe that what I’m saying makes sense.

• July 15, 2020 at 9:37 am

I’ve been a wedding photographer for 22 years. In that time, I’ve had a ringside seat on the changes in society. Wealthy, white suburbanites are becoming more narcissistic. It’s an ugly truth, and one I can’t fully explain. But it’s definitely a shift I see happening. I felt the casual disregard for my feelings from these folks building over the last 10 years. I even saw it in their choice of music- they used to start the wedding reception with music for the older folks, gradually making the music louder and more appealing to the young. No more. Now it’s right into the young people’s music at the start, and the old folks just sit there, feeling forgotten and annoyed by the volume.
    Now that their rescheduled weddings are being held finally – and they have a big crowd acting like nothing’s changed, no masks, etc – I can’t say I’m surprised. Dr. Hoffman politely and empathetic ally tries to attribute the fight over masks to a simmering anger in society – but I knew it would be a s** show when these wealthy suburbanites who can’t even play music appropriate for their own older relatives were asked to wear a mask to protect strangers. The early days of the virus played out only in cities where people’s behavior is largely more kind towards others.

• July 15, 2020 at 10:43 am

nonsense, just wear a mask to save our planet.

• July 15, 2020 at 10:55 am

I do not agree. I was a PHN and had my mask tested yearly. The masks we are able to wear are not even near functional. Also, it cuts down on my breathing O2 freely. Then, there is the fogging up of my glasses. I’m not convinced that asymptomatic people can spread germs. Look around, hardly anyone is wearing masks correctly. I believe masks are just so people “feel” like they are doing something to help.

• July 16, 2020 at 12:19 am

There is no science to support mass mask wearing. Masks are worn in surgery in case somebody coughs or sneezes and introduces a bacterial infection.
      Also have you noticed the change in narrative? The numbers are going up because there is more testing.
      Does anybody understand how their immune system works ? Viruses and bacteria are an important part of developing our immune system.
      Human behaviour and greed are the problems. We abuse the planet and each other and expect to be healthy ? Please do some research with Dr’s who understand what is really going on.
      Admittedly many of them are rubbished by the media which should alert you to the fact that they are most likely telling the truth !

• July 16, 2020 at 4:07 pm

“”There is no science to support mass mask wearing””

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• July 16, 2020 at 6:47 pm

There is no visible evidence you have a brain. So, by your logic, that opens the very real possibility that you have no brain.
        Yeah, that logic is false.

• July 18, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Unfortunately, with inconsistent direction from our leaders, we choose to believe what we want to believe – not necessarily what is fact. There is hard science behind masks. If you choose not to believe that, you are free to do so. Just stay away from other people. And dogs.

• July 28, 2020 at 8:20 am

Hurrah for you, Jude! You clearly have a good grasp on this situation.

• July 16, 2020 at 4:56 am

Sorry to say, you must not be wearing the right mask. Too many layers or poor fit. Masks do not affect breathing, that is a myth. Lots of people wear glasses and don’t have that issue. It is a poor fit of you mask issue. No mask is 100% safe, if you feel you just can’t wear a mask get a face shield. Just cover you face so you don’t breath/cough/sneeze on people.

• August 10, 2020 at 1:16 pm

Do you have lung disease? I do and it stops me wearing a mask for long. You cannot speak for everyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

• July 28, 2020 at 8:15 am

Agree, Carrie. As a “redneck” with 30ish years of experience in multiple disciplines of healthcare, I’ve learned to take in the information available and then form a common sense approach to the situation. As Joel mentioned, our “experts” have lost most of their credibility, as they too seem more fueled by panic than by sound data. I’ll leave my comments at that, lest I be cursed at and insulted by some of those I’ve already seen comment… but I’ll take common sense for the win most any day.

• July 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

A comment about how the OCD are becoming face mask Nazis would be interesting. They take the most troubling comment they have heard and make it their truth with no room for conflicting advice.

They can wear their mask and keep their distance. They can also learn to not block the aisle at the store. Keep your cart out of the way so those of us who are not OCD can pass and respectfully give you space. Otherwise, we may just invade your space as we try to pass through the limited space left by you and your cart. Leave the kids in the car.

The problem often stems from people who believe they have the right to force their will on others.

Our responsibility is to take care of ourselves and our personal surroundings. Leave space so others can take care of their space.

• July 16, 2020 at 11:50 am

Wow. Just wow. you really do come across as being very angry. Is it at all possible to have a reasonable conversation with you?
      Wearing a mask has no connection to OCD, or Nazis. Wearing a mask is to protect those around you from if you sneeze or cough, or yell at someone who is blocking your path.
      The people wearing masks actually care about those around them. Wearing a mask protects others if you sneeze, cough, or whatever.
      Me wearing a mask is not to protect me from you, it is to protect you from me.
      If you wore a mask, you would be protecting me from you, in case you have come in contact with anyone who might have been infected in the last 2 weeks.

• July 15, 2020 at 12:47 pm

I find it interesting when a publisher tells a writer to write something about “xyz’ subject. The results tend to be underwhelming. Publishers want page views. They rarely care about the quality of the content.
    btw, The page says 10 comments already but NONE display even though an email has forwarded a comment that starts with “I do not agree.”

• July 15, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Mark in Idaho: amen!!

• July 15, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Someone in my small suburban city was shot and killed by a police officer as he tried to attack her AFTER stabbing a 77 year old man in an argument about not wearing a mask in a convenience store.
    I’m astounded and scared. But angry too! What has/will become of us? How will this evolve? Will it evolve? Thanks for your insight

• July 17, 2020 at 12:10 pm

It’s a tough one because our experts have lost most of their credibility in the past few years. We’ve seen the politicization of science through global warming. We’ve seen a blatant and obvious politicization of the media. We’ve seen the politicization of the big tech companies. I cannot for one second, take our experts seriously what so ever.

I’m sorry but I truly mean it. When they say anything, it must first make it through a very skeptic filter and I promise you that the seriousness of this virus is not at all certain for me. I wear a mask to keep the easily frightened people feeling safe nothing more. If my breathing is restricted it comes off. I wouldn’t advise reproaching people for not trusting our obviously corrupt institutions.

• August 16, 2020 at 11:42 am

Well said.
      The mask mandate is serving many purposes for the puppet masters pulling the strings with nefarious motives:
      • Causing social division, unrest, polarization;
      • Forcing people to participate in undermining their own health and the health of those around them;
      • Conditioning the masses in the acceptance of double-speak, calling evil good and good, evil;
      • Conditioning people to not believe their own observations, feelings, interpretation of data and trust their gut around people who are doing them harm especially those in authority;
      • Conditioning people to harm to themselves and others “for their own good” through mask wearing, social distancing and other antisocial behavior;
      • Conditioning people in acceptance of social shaming, snitching on neighbors, family, friends – calling this prosocial behavior;
      • Conditioning people to allow others to harm them and then Stockholm Syndrome their harming of others in same way;
      • preparing people for unquestioned acceptance of the coming mandatory vaccine which is all about control – not public health safety;
      • Infusing fear and anxiety into the populace with no healthy ways to diffuse it.
      And here’s the clincher & I don’t know why people are not catching this one:
      • THE MASK IS MOSTLY THE “FOCAL POINT” OF DISTRACTION FROM THE REAL ISSUE WHICH IS THE FORCED BREAKDOWN OF NATURAL HUMAN INTERACTION AND THE DESTRUCTION OF THE BONDS IN SOCIETY, ESPECIALLY IN FAMILIES.

The reaction to this virus is totally over the top and people can’t see it? WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE & INSTINCT FOR PRESERVATION??

Wake the hell up, sheeple.

• August 16, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Omg Rose and others. Paranoia vs science. It’s pretty clear which we should go with. Take your meds people.

• August 16, 2020 at 5:34 pm

It is so much easier to take the path of least resistance and to think-as-you-are-told than it is to see what is in front of your own eyes, to ask questions then sift through the myriad studies, carefully considering each point before drawing your own conclusion which are subject to change if new data is discovered which is the very definition of science. If you knew more about how science works, you would know that but apparently, you don’t.

BTW, I’m not mentally ill, but I still found that comment to be very insulting to those who struggle. I only found this article due to a search on google cuz I want to learn more about the mask mandate debate with the intention of fighting it if it turns out masks do more harm than good which is what I believe at the moment.

In the science-versus-paranoia court of law, science would not be acquitted, if tried, nor would it win its case if it tried.There is simply too much evidence from opposing expert witnesses.