6 thoughts on “When You Can’t Relate To People

• July 9, 2017 at 2:31 am

I sometimes refer to AS as “having a left-handed personality”.

It’s extremely rare for me to feel connection to others. I’m used to being excluded by now, but worry about coping in the future.

• July 31, 2017 at 7:39 am

So true. I’ve felt exactly the same. Good luck.

• September 1, 2017 at 10:06 pm

People who can’t relate aren’t referred to as narcissist by society. Anyone using that word on people who can’t relate don’t know what it means. Antisocial is another misused word.

I urge the other to rethink what they wrote because society of calling those who can’t relate, narcissist isn’t even remotely accurate. We are called, loners, outcasts and maybe weirdos but narcissism is a collection of terrible traits that have nothing to do with not being able to relate.

• May 20, 2018 at 3:36 am

I feel this way but it has actually become more pronounced as I get older. I’m now 64! I have tried to engage with people but when you have ideas that are removed from the mainstream then people just think you’re weird and don’t WANT to know you. My experience of exclusion goes back to my childhood so who knows what it is in 5yo that another 5yo doesn’t like? So you ultimately progress through your school life into adulthood without friends and perhaps a couple of acquaintances. I don’t have any answers. I have simply learned to live with that the fact that people don’t actually want to get to know me. There is another side to this coin however. How many people truly have friends loads of friends? Perhaps they have acquaintances but how many know someone so close that you could rely on in an emergence?

Perhaps it’s as simple as life itself is transient, we are TOLD that we should have friends because that’s the accepted norm, but people and relationships are transient too. Perhaps people aren’t as social as we are led to believe? If we are all unique then we cannot all be the same…….

• November 27, 2018 at 12:55 am

That was beautiful. I wish you success as we navigate this eccentric world of ours. 🙂

• December 24, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for this article. I feel very disconnected from family and friends and sometimes I feel like there may be something wrong with me, but I refuse to believe that.