10 thoughts on “Why People With Asperger’s Look Rude And Creepy

• October 1, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Clowning helps. No, seriously! 🙂 People like to laugh and are more likely to interpret awkwardness as nonthreatening when it comes with a good dose of silliness. It doesn’t have to be a two-way interaction or anything mean. (Just look at Data and Spock from “Star Trek”, often more comic than tragic despite being Completely Serious.) Singing a ridiculous song to yourself, for example, will cause your facial expression to change without even trying, which could make people react differently to those “off” moments.

• October 1, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I guess I knew that intuitively, but I never thought about it.

Thanks! ?

• October 2, 2015 at 4:52 am

Wow! I read this and felt my heart unclench. I’m forever at odd with neighbors, though generally it’s over their secondhand smoke stinking up my clothes closets and their parties that start at 2AM. There’s always a clique I’m on the outside of. I’m the recluse with the drawn blinds whose kids throw rocks at my balcony. This time there’s lawyers a-coming, but I would’ve liked to have been friends with them.

• October 2, 2015 at 11:39 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I’m sure it was hard to contact lawyers: I had to call cops on some kids harassing me when I was growing up.

Just keep going. 😛

• October 3, 2015 at 4:00 am

Good news!

It is no longer a recognized condition.

Feel better?

Stop being rude.

• October 5, 2015 at 3:47 am

It’s interesting how Asperger’s syndrome affects men and women differently. You mention being a bit short with the barman when he’s making smalltalk; well I’m a man and barstaff, both male and female, tend to be very standoffish with me…as do most people. I wish I had your problem.

• October 5, 2015 at 7:01 am

Please sir.

This is a piece about personal responsibility. Not one of the umpteen other pieces I’ve written about people not wanting to be around me.

We could talk about how women with autism are monumentally more likely to be raped. I bet you wish you had THAT problem.

• December 22, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I’ve just been reading loads of your stuff, and it really resonates with me. Thanks so much.
    I hate coming across as rude. It happened just the other day at the grocery store. The lady serving said “its getting cold isnt it?” to which I could only reply “yes”.
    Then inside I start thinking “oh god, she thinks i don’t want to talk to her. She’s so nice, I wish I had something to say. Now I’m feeling awkward. Now that’s making her feel awkward.” And I leave feeling like not only can I not connect to anyone on the most basic level, something that I long for, but also I’ve ended up making someone else feel unpleasant.
    Other days can be better, and all of a sudden I feel like I’m possessed by the person I want to be. But then without warning they leave again, and I’m left without a voice.

• December 22, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Hi Dharma! I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I’m not really in control of my personality or my consciousness. It comes and goes. Your comment resonates deeply with me too.

• March 3, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Ausbergers or someone who is just introverted and wants their damn privacy? I don’t want to be friends with my neighbors either just for that reason. I don’t think I’m being rude at all just to want a little space and privacy. People who assume you’re a jerk just because you need time to breath are the rude ones.