7 thoughts on “I’m Gonna Move On From Writing About Autism Now

• May 14, 2017 at 1:12 am

Don’t disparage your friends (or past friends) because you perceive them to be nerds or people with problems. Those people aren’t “less” because they don’t reach the standard of “normal” you’ve internalized and believe to be better.

Wish you the best in confronting your internalized ableism.

• May 14, 2017 at 11:24 am

Finn,

I think you are overlooking the fact that Gwen is in love and shifting her focus to her new BFF and telling us she won’t be able to spend as much time with us as she has been.

Gwen will always be our friend if we make that choice.

• May 15, 2017 at 12:41 am

Nah, this isn’t about my boyfriend. I’ve been with him for years. I felt like I was starting to focus too much on the fact that I’m autistic and I wanted to explore other interests. Thanks though!

• May 15, 2017 at 12:55 am

I’m not self-conscious about my friendships anymore. I’m happy with people I relate to. A friendship with a PR girl/Wall Streeter/etc. wouldn’t be anywhere near as intimate or fulfilling. People who’ve dealt with a lot of shit are usually more interesting too.

One of my friends always says I rank people too much. She’s definitely right, and I’m glad she confronted me about it. But we do have to acknowledge that if society looks at you one way, you’re going to start to internalize those perceptions. I don’t come off as a nerd or a person with mental health problems initially. I started to think I could be more successful in mainstream society than I actually can. I’ve talked to a lot of autistic people who have this experience. It’s a tough thing to deal with.

• May 15, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Amen you are preaching to the choir 😊

• March 27, 2019 at 9:14 am

Having spent 50yrs telling myself i was just dealing with my own particular characteristics, eventually having a diagnosis allowed me to still believe this but dump the sense that i was somehow a lesser being and enjoy my peculiarities rather than constantly beat myself up. I was never much into groups for ‘disabilities’ they seemed to enforce the idea that i was a failure. But from a distance sometimes it is good to be able to connect with others.
    So thanks for being here and i fully understand you cannot let this take over your life . Go gettem girl 🙂