14 thoughts on “The Five Types Of Asperger’s

• December 13, 2016 at 8:12 am

Having brothers and a partner with Aspergers. I see the point to your types and it is often why so many people say “you don’t seem like you have Aspergers” because they know another type. My partner is the sluggish type with a high IQ.

• December 17, 2016 at 3:54 am

I think the idea of there being only “Five Types of Asperger’s” bugs me more than it being removed from the DSM, if I must be honest. Considering the vastness of diversity. I don’t fit entirely into any one of these boxes, but I could cherry pick certain aspects of my personality and experiences from “Sluggish”, “Studious”, and “Masked”.

• May 11, 2018 at 11:23 am

I agree about not fitting the certain boxes of Asperger’s entirely. I have noticed that like an impulsive I love to provoke a reactions from people, but it’s mainly out of a desire to get them to challenge their preconceptions, as I try to challenge my own preconceptions. I also huge parts of the methodical and/or studious aspects as I have many special interests which I can make friends with a pretty good sense of humor.

“I do read alot about history and different cultures”

In any case I like to think that the different aspects help ballance me out.

Fun fact. When I was younger I was diagnosed with both ADD (NOT ADHD) and OCD

• March 12, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I am mostly masked, I don’t blurt out anything & extremely kind to people? if I get really upset I will yell & get stroppy & people run for cover, my mother often says where did that come from, it’s like I take in too much information & then burst out, there is not many people I can confide in even my own family as they say oh u are stupid or don’t do that, I want someone to support me not judge me, I had 2 great friends in my old job & for me to trust anyone was amazing,
      I just keep out of people’s way now that annoy me, also have learned what works & what doesnt

• April 22, 2017 at 9:16 am

Wow that break down is spot on with how you described the traits, except I’d like to add that an aspie can be a mix of those. I’d say the first 3 describe certain times or aspects of my life perfectly

• September 29, 2017 at 11:46 am

Gwendolyn. Your new to me. Yet I believe you have my personality like we’ve met and had conversations for years. Well done just call me wedgie 🙂 I’m 39 and going through the very expensive (and trying) to get diagnosed as someone with aspergers. And I agree. A whole other ball game than autism is aspergers. I didn’t realise all my quirks were asperger traits….bummer

• January 20, 2018 at 11:47 am

What would be classified as not liking touch, almost genius IQ, very kind, but hypersensitive to criticism and talks a blue streak? Has friends online bUT doesn’t make friends easily in person. Also over shares a lot when getting to know you. Thanks.

• May 21, 2018 at 9:49 am

Hi Gwen, thank you for this interesting and informative piece. Based on what I was like in my 20’s, I would say that I probably had Asperger’s then, and I recognize snippets of myself in most of your types. I had a photographic memory for anything printed, but had very poor listening skills. I felt very awkward in social situations. I didn’t understand women AT ALL and mostly avoided them, even though I’m female. My most comfortable friendships were generally with men (or other girls who were somewhat unconventional) since their conversations were more fact-based and thus easier to understand. The key was to stay away from any emotional stuff, since it bored and/or confused me. I had some odd experiences, though, that I think were beneficial to my healing. Today I’m pretty comfortable with emotions, and much more comfortable in social situations (although I still struggle with group settings such as group projects and group conversations, so I still have some healing to do). But overall the difference is tremendous. The first odd experience is that I started going to dance clubs in NYC in the late 1990’s and doing ecstacy. I’m not going to say I recommend this, but for some reason it sparked something in me- I saw the happiness that could be gained from social interactions, and I wanted some of that for myself. New Yorkers are some of the most social people in the world, and I could clearly perceive that they had skills that I lacked. For all of you who value your photographic memories, I would caution here that ecstacy had a detrimental effect on that for me, as I would say that I no longer had a photographic memory after doing ecstacy about 20 times. However, I’ve developed many other skills that compensate for this, so I wouldn’t want to go back to the way I was. Fast forward about 10 years, when it was clear to me that my love life was a mess and I totally sucked at love & romance. Through a series of circumstances, I found myself learning a healing technique whose very name used to skeeve me out: Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). It’s a technique that I could do on myself in the privacy of my own home, and it works by tapping your fingers on acupuncture points. It released avalanches of bad feelings I had, and helped heal the knotted mess of my love life. So I wanted to just say that I think healing is possible, because I can feel the difference in my life- sometimes I’ll remember back to how I used to be, and am grateful for where I am today. I wish all of you great success and happiness in your lives!! Be well. xoxo

• May 29, 2018 at 6:03 pm

I have Asperger’s, and feel like I have qualities from each of these categories.
    I’m a bit of a party-crasher in the sense I do want to go out and have fun, including at parties, although it takes a millions years for my friends to go along with anything I arrange (I know I can’t blame them – they have their own lives but still it’s frustrating), and because I do stand up for myself and what I believe in. I don’t care about anyone’s feelings, if they did something horribly wrong, they deserve to be called out on it.

I’m mostly Methodical and Studious though. Methodical in the sense that I do like studying sociology and psychology, and I think I have a decent, objective view of people and their behaviors. I also have a lot of NT friends, although for a long time I was quiet, shy, and spent my time reading books instead of talking to people – I also got bullied a lot too.

I’m sluggish in the sense that I feel tired a lot, although that could be due to my bad sleeping habits.

Finally, I’m Masked in the sense that when I tell people I have Asperger’s, they’re often surprised. Like, they expected people with Asperger’s to be completely robotic, incapable of any kind of human interaction at all in anyway. I guess that’s something to be proved of, although, looking back on a few situations, I’m surprised so many people were taken aback by my admission that I’m Aspergers. I can be pretty socially awkward and bizarre, so I’m surprised that they’re surprised.

• February 3, 2019 at 6:00 pm

How is it that in so many posts by aspies their friends are mentioned one way or another, I have no friends to mention.

• February 14, 2019 at 9:30 am

You’re not alone in that sense. I have a hard time getting, and keeping friends too. I had friends when I was a kid but now they’re all gone. It’s like they moved on and got New friends after elemntary school and I didn’t :/

• March 12, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Yes I haven’t a lot of true friends, I have ones that they can tell me their problem, but I hardly ever share mine, sumtimes I do but then they tell my family or tell me I am depressing & that doesnt help either, I don’t trust anyone much apart from a couple of people who I trusted straight from start & I can tell things are gng to happen too & who is not true, I surprise everyone around me as 90 % of stuff I say happens, I love quiet time by myself & can aqua jog walk & shop by myself all day never lonely or bored though I love people too, I am a pick & mix

• March 21, 2019 at 4:59 am

Hi, 🙂
    A bit of an intro before my questions for anyone that might like to read through: I am unsure if I am Neurotypical but would assume so. Since the spectrum appears so wide, it is a little hard to tell as I am very tired from ptsd grief & flash backs right now.
    (My communication skills are strong, but probably an introvert, won’t go into any more about me, so lets just presume I am Neurotpyical for the purpose of my qu’s please, since the questions are not about me).
    Thanks for any tips.

Trying to figure out if my husband is on the AS spectrum, it is a bit confusing, whether to have a diagnosis, does anyone know how accurate a diagnosis is?

I would like to know so I know so if we are looking at relationship tools, that are Neurotypical – we can figure out what to apply & what not to or whether we should be looking at something else. I need to know what my everyday expectation/balanced view should be.
    Without knowing, it is very stressful for me, to plan & communicate standard, every day reasonable things.

Quite hard at times to understand if he is a “typical regular tech guy…” or not.
    Neither of us like labels, but I need some direction for communication tools, so I can have a clear idea about getting on top of things. Basically, I need to know what approach I am coming from, otherwise it is hard to know what to do, e.g. with a neurotypical Male, you might need to take a totally different approach to a common situation than with an AS male.

My best child hood friend probably has/had Aspergers & I have always thought that we are who we are & why do we need labels, I have the same feeling about my husband re labels, however, I am trying to get to grips with how much communication might be hard for him, it is really very hard to figure out if it is an environmental thing from childhood, or AS wiring that won’t change.

Where do you start with figuring out if Aspergers is relevant?, he gets really tired from making eye contact at home, so just doesn’t do it, unless I constantly ask.
    He can make eye contact at work & in situations because he knows it is expected & has explained that he is aural & it is tiring to have to do it.
    He he moderate degrees of empathy.
    He does care, but showing his feelings has been a long term project over many years.

I hope this makes some sense any tips small or big appreciated thanks.

• April 10, 2019 at 11:20 am

Feel like I’m a mixture of The Good Actress and Sluggish. I find it really hard to be outside for more than a few hours tops a day due to sensory issues but am able to mask my traits for a certain length of time.

I also have Borderline Personality Disorder: my emotions are very vivid and can shift at the slightest provocation. Not sure if that contributes to where I am on the spectrum but would be interesting to learn about any possible correlations. x Amazing post. x