Comments on
Gunman Cried Out for Help With Voices

A portrait has emerged of a man and the voices that tormented him into taking away a dozen lives at the Washington Naval Yard on Monday.

34 year-old Aaron Alexis was aware that he needed help—and even sought it out  from a Buddhist temple in Raynham,

9 thoughts on “Gunman Cried Out for Help With Voices

• September 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

there is no doubt that the system failed Mr Aaron, even though he was clearly in distress. Perhaps he “fell through the cracks” so it is said, or he was ignored by his colleagues. Whatever the case, there are many people who experience auditory and visual hallucinations that are not “command type ” and manage their daily lives, incorporating their voices into their work day, their home life and at their jobs. His story is not unique among the mentally ill or the professionals who work with them, daily. The difference here is knowing the signs and symptoms of decompensation; the warning signs of potential harm to self or others. These went unchecked and ignored. It is important that others know when to go to a mental health center or hospital clinic. What happened here could happen anywhere, unless we make a concerted effort to acknowledge, report and assist people who are clearly in distress.

• September 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I must say thanks to bring forward the truth. We need to help other in distress, know the fact I am going trough some tuff times in life and getting no help, I am punish for being truthful, when something go wrong we always say why, but never try to help the person seeking help. I myself seeking help and getting no where, Please if you can assist me I need help. Thanks

• September 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

One of my sisters is pretty darned coherent at times about what living with schizophrenia is like.In one conversation, we were comparing the “voices” everyone hears in their heads, with the voices she hears. We all hear “something talking to us” saying things like “Damn, I’m gonna be late fore work again” or “I must remember to buy shoelaces and milk today. She described the difference between those thoughts and her own thus:

“It’s like you are listening to a soothing, chamber music concert, that will end soon, and you can leave the building. But for us, it’s like the loudest heavy metal rock concert that will never end, and all the exit doors are locked, so none of us can escape, or even go out for a little break from the noise.”

I’ve never heard or read a better metaphor for explaining how assaultive or confining/isolating the voices are for people with schizophrenia.

• September 21, 2013 at 6:33 pm

That is such a great depiction. I live with bipolar disorder and have had hallucinations but know they are different than those of a schizophrenic’s. Thank your sister for her words of clarity.
      xoxo,
      Elaina J
      “Being Beautifully Bipolar”

• September 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thank you Elaiina for speaking up. My sister Chelle suffers from both paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I think bipolar folk are not only beautiful and sensitive, they are the brightest people you’ll ever meet. One day there will be an acceptance of neurobiological diversity. Love your blog too!

• September 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Please we need to open our eyes and help people when there have some difficulties in life, We never debate the fact why people do wrong things. But when it happen we all pointing fingers at each other. At present I have the worst in my life going trough divorce and the court turning a blind eye on the fact having me suffer for two years and there are no solution to the truth. Please I also need help Please.

• September 26, 2013 at 2:36 am

Bharat, What kind of help have you looked for? Have you tried emergency phone lines or gone to where you worship? If you think you are close to hurting yourself, try calling emergency and tell them you want to hurt yourself. They will take you to a hospital even if you don’t have insurance.IF you live in the United States. You can write again if you wish. Divorce is terrible for many people. Be kind to yourself. People do care about you, but you have to find them.

• September 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I tried everything nothing seems to go my way because I am telling the truth, all I am seeking help ASAP please

• November 2, 2015 at 1:42 am

Why and where did he learn Thai? Did he actually study a foreign language, long enough to get fluent, just so that he could talk to the monks?