19 thoughts on “The 13 Biggest Disappointments of Adulthood

• March 20, 2019 at 7:46 am

Not being prepared for adulthood…amen

• March 20, 2019 at 10:09 am

This is a very good and honest article. I’m from the generation that helped create the unreality that now exists for younger people. Although I “saw” what was coming from a very early age and never had children, I had no idea how much of it I would see come to pass. It saddens me that hindsight is always 20-20, but hope DOES spring eternal, and the human spirit must never die.

It’s not an easy life, but it is life, and you must make the best of it however you can. You rejoice in the small victories, try to love as much as you can and tell people, and do good instead of bad. It really is that simple. Oh, and don’t ignore that inner voice of reason. EVER!! But if it leads you astray, forgive yourself, make amends if you can, and thank God for the mercy.

Most importantly, never expect everyone’s life to be the same and never compare your life to others as if it matters. We might be created “equal” but all of us have unique blessings to share with the world.

• March 20, 2019 at 10:34 am

Mine is the disappointment in a few family members. My childhood friendships are great but a few family members have disappointed me…hold grudges, lack of self awareness and the ability to blame others for their mistakes. Inability to forgive one another, putting material things before people and family. This hurts me deeply!!!!! Fortunately, I have the rich relationships of friends, work family and church. Thankful for my resilience to hold fast to things that are most important.

• March 20, 2019 at 11:21 am

Health. Getting older sucks.

• March 21, 2019 at 11:10 am

I believe it takes more courage to grow older than anything else in life.
      Our bodies are getting weaker and all kinds of illnesses threaten us.
      However, at the same time, nobody wants to listen to older people discussing their ailments as they avidly listen to the illlnesses or pregnancies of the young.

• March 23, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Amen!

• March 20, 2019 at 2:15 pm

This is 100% accurate, as I finished college in 2015 and have been struggling with these issues, alongside my friends ever since…It means so much for someone to acknowledge how thrown into the world and alone we are after school.

• March 20, 2019 at 3:36 pm

The bursting of old myths.
    > Good wins out in the end….Evil can win, Good doesnt always win.
    > I’ll be there… You cant always help those you love
    > All you need is love? Love isnt enough sometimes esp if you havent defined it
    > Work hard? …Hard work isnt rewarded necessarily
    > There is enough time for everything…nope…many dreams will end up on the shelf
    > be fair… Fairness isnt rewarderd necessarily, often unfairness is seen as legitimate
    > be honest…. Honesty is barely tolerated and almost never desirable…anywhere…

• March 21, 2019 at 12:45 am

Yup, evil wins too many times and bad people make unfairness by various means to be legal. You are right about honesty when you look at how whistleblowers are treated. Amazing how adults complain about lack of moral values in the kids; yet, the adults are the ones that have been poor role models for them.

• March 21, 2019 at 12:47 am

Another disappointment is how you will never ever be accepted as an equal human being at work and at home.

• March 21, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I think this topic is highly relevant at this time.

The *not being prepared for life* is something that I identify with, perhaps the most.
    I’ve been thinking how this could be resolved for the kids coming in, by being told
    emotional truths about imbalanced or *bad* people, and what that might look like in
    their world….how to communicate their personal hardships with parents (at least if the
    parents are interested)…..teach them about money….how to make money make more money EARLY…..how to focus on what they truly love.

• March 21, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Great article and excellent comments. I relate on some level to the article and the comments. Since all life has an expiration date, I might as well try to make the best of it while I’m here.

• March 22, 2019 at 1:17 am

Happiness is relatively short-lived. Seek instead to be content.

Be content with your personal image. Don’t let the latest craze, fad, technology, or what your Facebook “friends” are doing or buying or saying influence you.

In the 1980 TV special The Martian Chronicles (not in the book) the lead character is depressed because he was hoping to learn about “the secret of life” on Mars, from the ancient Martians. He accidentally finds a Martian and asks him about it. The reply is so very good that I wrote it down. Here it is, and as far as I’m concerned this pretty well sums up the “secret of happiness and contentment” as well.

The Secret of Life

Anyone with eyes can see the way to live – by watching life, observing nature and cooperating with it. Making common cause with the process of existence, by living life for itself; deriving pleasure from the gift of pure being.

Life is its own answer. Accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible. Expect no more. Destroy nothing, humble nothing, look for fault in nothing. Leave unsullied and untouched all that is beautiful. Hold that which lives in all reverence, for life is given by the sovereign of our universe; given to be savored, to be luxuriated in, to be respected.

• March 22, 2019 at 8:27 pm

I totally agree.
    I am very disappointed with everthing. Root cause in my life money. Need money to eat, have a place to stay, study for a B.S. degree which I do not have. Not making enough can not do much on this list.
    Then comes relationships so difficult to deal with selfish world. Many use and abuse then drop one in jobs, family, girlfriends etc.

• March 23, 2019 at 12:24 pm

My health and jumping from job to job throughout my life, I am now 55 and worried about how much longer I can work because of my health and if I can afford to be retired! These are my regrets, not taking care of things. I too am disappointed in family members, more extended than say, my brothers and daughter. My cousins have all decided to be like the uncles and aunts, all the arguing and backstabbing from bad feelings and jealousies. I try very hard to stay neutral.

• March 23, 2019 at 4:17 pm

For most of us once we leave home (childhood) and begin to earn an income and follow our dreams or aspirations life becomes one ongoing issue of trade-offs. Time precludes us from doing everything we would like and issues such as money, travel, relationships (past and future) and aging set us up as jugglers. Once we leave the cover of our parents and navigate our way to the destination we have chosen we suddenly discover that life is full of shoals and reefs and beautiful vistas and the growing realisation that we can’t have it all.

Life is what we make of it and learning to be happy with what we have achieved and our trajectory.

• March 27, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Well done and I agree as a 54-year-old. However, I am happy to find much joy in my work and leisure, although not much time for traveling. Volunteering has added a great deal to my life at various times. Thank you ! #megcanhelp

• April 17, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Being told “when you are an adult, you can do whatever you want”, but then when you are an adult, you feel like everyone lied. You pretty much DONT get to do anything you want, you are even MORE chained to expectations and responsibility, too busy working hard simply to stay alive. What I WANT is to work and make money to support myself and kids. What I WANT is to travel, but because I don’t make enough money, like I want, I can’t. What I WANT sometimes, is a day off. What I WANT is someone else to cook dinner for ME every night, and so on.
    I don’t lie to my kids about this one. “Enjoy your freedom now, because once you become an adult, well, you’ll see…. try to find something to focus on that makes you happy, so hopefully you can do what you want and get paid for it, but always have a plan B”.

• April 23, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Mine was having suffered from brain injuries and a spinal cord injury when young. This affected my early adulthood experience both physically and emotionally.

My family was dysfunctional in many ways some elders showing definite signs of relatively severe emotional illness. So you can imagine what I was taught growing up and the type of “support” received while enduring the reprecussions of spinal cord and brain injury.

To say my early adulthood was intense would be an understatement. However I decided early on that learning something useful from all of this was far more desirable than descending into severe emotional illness over it.

I discovered psychology in high school and never looked back. Studied for decades on my own time and attempted to incorporate a healthy spirituality into that routine as well.

This saved my life in more ways than one can count. Life has been a challenge however the studying of psychology and the regular practice of spirituality (that appeals to me) has been a phenomenal experience.

There is no magic bullet. Life is naturally filled with ups and downs. How we deal with these ups and downs makes all the difference in the world. Wishing all of you the very best!