12 thoughts on “Negative Self-Talk: Top 10 Things NOT to Say to Yourself

• April 29, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Loved the article. Found it to be very informative. Stopping the negative thought from passing my lips & changing it to a positive one over time will create a life more in tune with where I want to be. Really enjoyed it

• April 30, 2013 at 1:30 am

The help for people is too hard to get. Never is anything in reference to what ails ones mind be spoken of, so therapy is just talk and helpful, but the need to understand what ails someone can be a needless act of perpetual wonder, constant doubts. I try to be positive all the time, but it sometimes is not enough to think of life with a mind you feel is flawed, unable to be understood and coped with through knowledge and therapy.

• May 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Great article, everything was fine till it said… “Move on”

• May 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Wonderful piece of info. I have thie 24/7 bing Bi-Polar, Manic Depressive, panic attacks, and all the rest has drain me for years.

Seeing a Shrink and being drug up out of my mind didn’t help either. State of MI Mental Health Service was more interested in keeping a person, so drugged up that many couldn’t even funtion.

Example, walkin. Ho ware you doing today? How is your medis doing? Here is your Medications for the next 90 days, see you then.

At one time I was seeing a shrink, $150.00 office call then went up to 250.00, and then he would bill my insurance company. If I canceled my appointment becaue I was ill, he would charge me $100.00 for missing my appointment.

Now I see a regular MD, who stated that I wsa really over dosed on PSYCHE Drugs. I still take some of these drugs, but they are no help at all.

So, this is what I deal with, as well as many others in the same boat. To be Positive, just doesn’t work, Iv’e tried for decades.

• May 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I found that mindfulness helped me with my negative thoughts because it helps you to acknowledge all thoughts, including the negative ones, and learn to view them in a non-judgemental, compassionate way and realise that they are just thoughts and that you don’t have to let them rule you…
    I recommend higly recommend mindfulness to everyone! http://www.squidoo.com/mindfulness-meditation-how-i-found-peace-and-happiness

• May 2, 2013 at 6:21 am

I liked the article, it really makes us look in the eyes of the fact that we r getting attacked. A very easy solution is to make positive thinking friends, do effort to keep lively friends and lessen your terms with negative people.

• May 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I always aked myself why people with depression like myself, are our worse enemies. I talk to myself in a harsh way, don´t know it is because my parents used to say that things to me, or they just made me feel that way, or it was because of the depression. I am glad to see in ink and paper the things that I use to say to me and to know that a lot of people say that to themselves and it is possible to change it and be our best freind.
    Thanks to the author!!!!

• May 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Be careful to avoid shaming comments or negative put-downs in self-talk. It can be tempting to say to oneself, “Don’t be an idiot” — but this can quickly turn into a negative tape rather than a positive motivator. Instead, stop, acknowledge the feeling/reaction, and logically redirect it.

• May 8, 2013 at 4:07 am

I like this article as negative self-talk is a destructive habit as far as one’s self-esteem is concerned. My experience is having a good rest, such as having enough hours of sleep at night, helps me to have a more positive mood and outlook on life and reduce the frequency of unsupportive thoughts filling my mind.

• May 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I been like this about all my life… why …i cant control my own fate…i have had problems all my life …i dwell on something that sticks me the wrong way and i cant forget it…and these arent everyday things that happen to people…For instance in 1999 I had the govt. stage a crime against me for a foreigner to gain their citizenship they didnt prosecute me til 2002 almost 4 yrs after the fact and I honestly didnt do anything…well this was the first time i ever had been in trouble where i could face jail time and i hired an atty for $10,000 …he pressed and pressed in my brain that the judge would throw the entrapment out stating i knew of the accused which makes me guilty even thought i had 7 telephone calls which i totally tried to avoid the situation…it ended up they had a guy on a wire tap and they couldnt identify the person then they tried to have me identify them then they would drop all charges against me …i already signed a deal with the state that would drop the felony charges and i would do probation…i wanted to denounce my citizenship and be dropped off at the canadian border…it was very dirty what happened to me…i couldnt believe it… well I didnt identify who was on that tape and took what i plead down to…but the thing was the state went against the terms of my probation and they had to drop everything 5 months into a 18 month sentence…thats not the worst …the atty i gave to help me got a sex change and turned himself into a woman…i helped a man buy a vagina …How could something like this happen to somebody how could the govt do something like this to their own people…i never forget my atty stated we might be in luck due that the informant was in afghanastan in the war…i was rooting on the taliban …sad situation…everyday I hate what my country did to me and its very very for my mind to think what my money went for ….its hard not to be negative or have negative thoughts

• November 18, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I talk about this quite a bit in my new book The Purpose Plan (amazon Nov. 30th) – So many people talk about how bad it is, instead of talking about how good it’s going to be! We have to focus all our energy on our dreams, our goals and making sure our thoughts align with those. jennieaberle.com

• October 30, 2018 at 7:35 am

It is important to manage the inner dialogue so that it does not become an obstacle.One way can be, when you realize you have a counterproductive internal dialogue, to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Thanks for the advice, have a nice day.