Six Great Things About Having Problems
It’s too easy to get caught up in problems and live as a ball of stress. Of course, some problems are tragic. Most problems, however, are just signs that you’re a human being who has the privilege of still being alive. In that spirit, here are six great things about having problems.
1. As the legendary M. Scott Peck, MD said, “Life is a series of problems to be solved.” If you have problems, you’re alive, which is amazing. The chances of being a living being in this universe without problems are reportedly the closest to zero you can get.
2. You’re not alone. If you have problems, you have commonality with everyone on earth. If you were 100% problem-free, you’d be all alone in that. Problems give you a chance to connect with others who have similar problems. Not that you’d want to just sit around and complain to each other. But connect, work together, and support each other. You’re not alone, even if you think you are.
3. They make you humble. And most of us could use a big dose of humility.
4. Problems can serve as a springboard to appreciation, which is a key to happiness. Without problems, you couldn’t appreciate the problem-free parts of your life; what’s going well.
5. Human problems level the playing field. Everyone has them, even the most perfect-looking self-help guru. Actually, self-help gurus often have more problems than anyone – just my opinion.
6. Problems can inspire you to grow. What else can?
The next time you’re tempted to ask, “Why me?” ask instead, “Why not me?” We all have problems – all of us. No one is immune, as it’s part of the human condition. As I write this high and mighty post on the virtues of having problems, I am full of problems. I need to hear this as much as anyone, perhaps more.
Imagine going through life truly expecting everything to be easy and go as you want. That’s a perfect set up to be a victim – a chronic complainer.
If you like this article, then like my Facebook Page to keep up with all my work.
Bundrant, M. (2018). Six Great Things About Having Problems. Psych Central. Retrieved on February 23, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/nlp/2018/01/some-great-things-about-having-problems/