Failing Toward Success: 15 Quotes About Failure that Give Hope
Long-term failure, even compulsive failure or self-sabotage, can be worked with. Deep failures can be turned around. Failure can be accepted and, most of all, learned from. Humility is often born of failure.
So much positive can come from failure that I took the time to assemble my 15 favorite quotes about failure that give me hope, on the thought that you’d find something of value in them as well.
15 Quotes about Failure that May Give you Hope
1. Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
~ Winston Churchill
2. Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.
~ Jack Welch
3. I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
~ Thomas A. Edison
4. Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
~ Henry Ford
5. Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
~ Steve Jobs
6. It is impossible to live without failing, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.
~ J. K. Rowling
7. Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.
~ C. S. Lewis
8. Success is not built on success. It’s built on failure. It’s built on frustration. Sometimes it’s built on catastrophe.
~ Sumner Redstone
9. A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
10. There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.
~ Brene Brown
11. Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.
~ Napoleon Hill
12. Failure and its accompanying misery is for the artist his most vital source of creative energy.
~ Montgomery Clift
13. If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.
~ Thomas Jefferson
14. Failure’s a natural part of life.
~ John Malkovich
15. I don’t take success and failure seriously. The only thing I do seriously is march forward. If I fall, I get up and march again.
~ Kareena Kapoor Khan
If you allow these and other quotes failure to make you think, to get curious about what you can learn and how to best move forward given what you’ve learned, you’re succeeding without realizing it..
My favorite book about failure is here.
Bundrant, M. (2016). Failing Toward Success: 15 Quotes About Failure that Give Hope. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 19, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/nlp/2016/11/quotes-about-failure/