1. Wishing a narcissist would change could be your own narcissism in disguise.
2. Rushing into marriage is childhood narcissism in action.
3. The cure for narcissism is to experience your own howling pain and allow the compassion of others to soothe you. It’s not likely given how buried that pain can be.
4. You can let go of narcissists when you realize your own narcissistic reasons for attracting them in the first place.
5. Whoever loves becomes humble. Those who love have, so to speak, pawned a part of their narcissism.
6. Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people.
-Andre Dubus III
7. Narcissism and self-deception are survival mechanisms without which many of us might just jump off a bridge.
8. Narcissus weeps to find that his image does not return his love.
9. A man who loves others based solely on how they make him feel, or what they do for him, is really not loving others at all—but loving only himself.
10. Out of all the addictions in the world, attention is slowly but surely becoming one of the most dangerous.
11. Relationships with narcissists are held in place by hope of a ‘someday better,’ with little evidence to support it will ever arrive.
12. Imagining that you are deep and complex, but others are simple, is one of the primary signs of malignant selfishness.
13. Withhold admiration from a narcissist and be disliked. Give it and be treated with indifference.