We all have schedules and expectations to fulfill. What if we spent a few moments every morning making plans for mental wellness?
Here is a template you might start with.
First, clear five minutes time to make sure this day goes well. Prioritize this, as it could be the most important five minutes of the day.
Then, take the following steps:
1. Deep breath….clear your mind.
2. Think of yesterday – and any unfinished business, regrets that may be lingering in your mind. Acknowledge them.
3. Consider your accomplishments yesterday – acknowledge them.
4. Say to yourself, “Yesterday is done. It’s never coming back. I now have today to live my life how I choose.”
5. Ask yourself, “How do I want to conduct myself today?”
Allow a few words to come into your mind in response to this question. Positive, thoughtful and productive are the words that come to my mind on this morning.
6. Identify at least one thing you can do to put your thoughts into action as soon as possible. For me, I think I’ll make my wife coffee and bring it to her as she wakes up this morning.
7. Think of the rest of your day….imagine going through it, imperfectly conducting yourself according to your positive desires.
Yep, imperfect conduct seems like a great fit for this plan. After all, stuff happens on the inside and out that we have to live with. This is why we mere mortals need to do regular personal development exercises such as the above. If we were perfect, we’d have no need to waste our time trying to improve, right?