Research has shown that, chances are very high that you already know enough about how to eat well and lose weight. That isn’t the problem at all!
Our good friend Dr. Jeremy Dean from the superb PsyBlog points out that according to research, the greater challenge is self-awareness. Those who learn to pay attention to their emotions are much more likely to make healthy choices and lose weight.
In fact, paying attention to your emotions may be the most powerful weight loss strategy of all.
The study’s authors concluded:
“With a better understanding of how they feel and how to use emotions to make better decisions, people will not only eat better, they will also likely be happier and healthier because they relate better to others and are more concerned with their overall well-being.”
People with emotional training choose better foods consistently. And that is the key to losing weight. And here are some additional, equally compelling facts…
6 Facts About How Emotions Drive Weight Gain and Loss
1. Most people with weight issues tend to eat mindlessly. In other words, their underlying emotions determine what goes in their mouths, not their conscious minds. When you increase emotional awareness, you also increase your level of conscious choice.
2. Most people assume that “comfort foods” reduce stress, while this is a scientifically proven fallacy.
3. Most people, after receiving some basic emotional training, are surprised at how easy it is to make better food choices.
4. Most people discover that the negative emotions they experience after overeating are actually psychological attachments that they have been subconsciously seeking (yes, you read that right – we seek familiar negativity all too often).
5. Many people – based on experience in the AHA Weight Loss Coaching Group, have discovered that losing weight is the emotional equivalent of betraying someone close to them.
For example, if you come from a family that tends to be overweight, then there is often a deeply unconscious expectation to be heavy. If you lose weight, you feel strangely that you no longer belong in your family culture
6. When you are in touch with your emotions, you WANT to make healthier choices, so will power becomes much more viable.
If you want to lose weight don’t underestimate the motivation, self-discipline and personal power that comes from heightened emotional awareness. It may be the issue that makes or breaks your success.