Comments on
1 Weird Thing All Narcissists Do

It would be funny, if it weren’t so tragic. It would be amusing, if it weren’t so maddening. In my experience, all narcissists do one weird thing: they believe themselves to have a skill they don’t actually possess and pursue it doggedly.

6 thoughts on “1 Weird Thing All Narcissists Do

• November 27, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I can sing and write, so it grinds on me when clueless trophy-for-participating narcissists vainly belt out hideous verse they scribbled down with a crayon; or even worse, hideously belt out heretofore perfectly wonderful prose, beaming as though they received a special award created just for them because they are, after all, THAT wonderful! bless their heart

• November 27, 2019 at 7:21 pm

My ex-narc fancied he was the next Stephen King, but better. For awhile, he tried getting me to acknowledge he was better than Tolkien, but love only goes so far. I was basically the ghostwriter for many papers, a large portion of his thesis, and some sections submitted in a train-wreck of a book, CompBiblio, that his English department cranked out.

His attempts at horror were horrific, but not in the way he intended. Some of his flying monkeys and affair partners pandered to his mania, but I got off that crazy train.

I was even depicted in a short story, though I was deemed too stupid to recognize it. He took license a la Charles Dickens and made fun of many people in an attempt to get “revenge.” Yeah, a poorly-written, meandering word-salad is a great way to get back at someone. What a hot-mess of a coward!

• November 30, 2019 at 5:52 am

I’m afraid a large part of the millennial-narc problem is also how we instill judgement and morals in our young people.
    Being a great personal assistant is not acceptable but pretending to be successful manager, lying, cheating and misusing your employees to keep up appearances is completely acceptable.
    Being an entertaining, well-spoken, primary school teacher with a passion for children is not good enough, rather become a failing actress in Hollywood. Too many (in all walks of life) are unemployed because we do not recognize the importance of the roles they could fulfill brilliantly.
    And of course, if you fail at anything, deny, deny, deny. Because admitting that you help or just cannot achieve something or that you are imperfect in any way is not OK.
    Of course I’m not making excuses for all narcissists, but just adding that we may all want to re-evaluate our attitudes towards less “spectacular” jobs and the diversity of the skills and talents we do have.

• December 5, 2019 at 2:53 am

This reminds me of my dad, whom I believe have some narcissistic traits. He tried to convince me throughout my whole childhood and youth, that I was such an exceptional music talent, especially singing…. Well, that was never true. I am so completely average, do not really have a singing voice. Now, it would be totally fair and perfectly normal and very positive if dad just was honest about liking hearing me sing and play instruments when I was a kid. But he had to make it into something grand. And he always knows better than anyone, never admits mistakes, he is quite perfect as he presents it. Awefully offended and painfully hurt when he does not get his “feed” of praise and admiration and of being agreed with on his views. It is sad. Because behind that “mask” of grandiosity I believe there could be a really beautiful person. Only that person does not dare coming out. And now I have given up hope of that too, since he is well over 70 and really has not changed at all. I had a dad once. Or I had a wish that I had a real dad. And me: From my childhood´s Stockholm syndrom via many years of confusion and eventually mental illness and into more of a clarity now: I guess I survived a narcissistic parent. Thank God.

• January 8, 2020 at 11:01 am

They all believe that they’re magicians.
    That they can just say something and make us believe it. No matter how outrageous it sounds like,
    “No, you didn’t hear me talking to another woman just now on the phone you’re crazy”
    or
    “No, you didn’t see my vehicle parked in some other woman’s driveway, you’re seeing things.”
    I used to laugh when I was told those things, but I came back with,
    “your not that good of a magician, you cannot make me believe in something that I saw or heard with my own ears, you’re not that good, sorry, maybe practice a little more and people might believe you” That would make him so mad, what an idiot!.

• January 9, 2020 at 1:16 am

They truly are some of the most deeply emotionally Ill of people. I honestly feel sorry for them to a certain degree that they will live out their lives in this fashion however feel far more sorry for their victims (and certainly don’t condone any of their abusive behaviors).

They are so utterly lacking in ways how or why anyone would spend years with one is beyond my comprehension.

By the way management, these days, is inundated with these fakes. One fantasy laden, self absorbed, weak ego laden dimwit after another being hired to manage adult human beings (while missing vast portions of the very ingredients required to make them a mature adult humanbeing). It’s a tragedy truly is.

Leadership in the purest/truest sense of the word is lost upon this culture and looks as if it may never be making a comeback. Now THAT is heartbreaking. I’ve known plenty a “boss” and “manager” who fit the bill, concerning what you’ve described in this article, to a T.bThis has become an epidemic.

This culture has degraded in these ways enough to make a grown man cry and I have trust me! More than I would like to admit.