9 thoughts on “I Was In This Cult and Never Knew It!

• June 4, 2019 at 9:29 am

Wow! Sure sounded like a cult. I was in a oneness church & they practice the same things!
    Hugs & Prayers.

• June 5, 2019 at 8:49 am

As I read this I thought you were talking about Jehovah’s Witnesses. They drum the exact same “women should be modest in dress” yet there’s a rampant pedophilia problem. Victims are blamed and shamed. The religion is comprised of narcissists. No surprise that all cults seem to follow the same model.

• November 29, 2019 at 11:50 am

I so agree with you regarding the Jehovah’s witnesses. The had my Mom hook line and sinker. When she was elderly and becoming senile, the elders showed up like hagfish sniffing a meal. They tried to get around us to have my Mom sign off on power of attorney so they could have her estate.
      We had to get a court ordered restraining order to keep them away.

• June 5, 2019 at 9:45 am

I won’t refer to which religion I had to endure, but yes to being a cult. I have no issues with spirituality but many organized religions are not very far from being a cult. When you are in a religion that condemns independent thought or stifles questions,. then leave it promptly.

• June 6, 2019 at 12:34 am

Most of the thought manipulation described here would also apply to the evangelical culture I grew up in. It certainly wasn’t (and still isn’t) called a cult, but I’m convinced that most “non-progressive” evangelical churches are very cult-like. Of course I’m a male, so I didn’t experience the sexual predation that females would have, but after a degree in theology from a Bible college, years in Europe as a missionary, and 46 years as a believer, I finally escaped at the age of 60.
      I feel so free now: no God manipulating my every thought and desire, and filling me with guilt!

• June 16, 2019 at 9:13 am

Wait. So are we saying that Jesus is false?

That there is more than one way to heaven?

Evil lurks every where. So sad that children and woman are abused in every parcel on earth.

• June 17, 2019 at 10:28 am

EXCELLENT article! Right on!!

• November 29, 2019 at 10:05 am

I grew up in a church/school just like that. I heard the “famous” IFB preachers/evangelists when they came through my church. My first husband decided to become an IFB pastor. And so, the cycle of psychological, emotional, and relational abuse started. He was and is a narcissistic SOB. He fell right in with all of the other narcissistic, misogynistic, dominating jerks that called themselves “men of God!” But deep down, I knew things didn’t line up with the Bible.

My first husband abused me emotionally and psychologically before I finally divorced him. He was making a 180 turn and decided to start bar hopping and keep a mistress on the side while I was left practically penniless at home with two kids. At that time, I had no one but God, the real God. He told me to divorce him. God provided in ways to supply our needs that are miraculous. The God I was taught from the past was not the One I came to know in a deeper relationship.

Now, I am happily married to a gentle, patient, loving man. He is a great stepfather to my children. Funny thing is, I wound up going back to the church I grew up in. It may still be considered IFB but our former pastor decided to break away from a lot of the controlling aspects of what the old cult used to be. Our current pastor is a humble man that had to discover that the old IFB was a cult and he is doing what he can to expose that! We are just strictly our own church. I enjoy going there and have found healing.

Thank you for doing what you have done to expose these “men of fraud” masquerading as “men of God.”

• February 6, 2020 at 1:24 am

I am a Independent Fundamental Baptist. I am part of a new group of Independent Fundamental Baptists who saw a whole heap of flaws in the Old IFB. It almost made me sick when you said you tried to tell the Pastor you were unsure of your salvation and he didnt care. That’s the face of the dying old IFB. They have committed suicide. Out with the Old in with th new. Because we see their mistakes, we now have family integrated churches and parents are never seperated from their children. We do hold to the Word of God and take scripture literally. Especially that men are to be leaders of the home. The thing is, the only way to correctly lead is to encourage your family and earn their trust. Respect is earned not taken. The Old IFB makes me sick and I know what you mean because I attended an old IFB church full of arrogant prideful men that could care less about winning people to the Lord verses bringing as many people in as they could so they can figure ways to get them to part with their money. Bottom line is there are good IFB men out there and I know plenty. There are always going to be wolves in sheeps clothing that infiltrate and creep in. The Bible says false prophets will creep in unawares. It says they will not they might. We would never tell you going to our church is what keeps you out of Hell. Salvation is not by works. Matter a fact we go door to door soul winning and I’ve even told people you dont have to come to our church, stop drinking or smoking or do anything to get to Heaven. Our ticket into Heaven is a free gift paid for by Jesus Christ. You dont work for a gift or pay for a gift. You recieve a gift, freely with NO strings attached. NONE. We can rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ, we rest from our own works. Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy, he saved us. For by grace are ye saved through faith. And not of ourselves, it is the GIFT of God, not of works, lest any man should boast. For the wages of sin is death BUT the GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD! The gift of God is life that lasts forever paid for by Jesus Christ. It is a gift that lasts forever. You can never lose your salvation no matter what you do. Jesus has us in his hands and we can try to let go all we want but he will never let go of us. We are not stronger than God. Sorry the lame dying Old IFB left a bad taste in your mouth. I believe God removed their candlestick because they lost their first love. SOULS. It’s time for the Lord to raise up a NEW generation and do this right, the way the Lord intended. Dont ever give up on the truth, people will let you down but the Lord wont. It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. We need to search the scripture daily to see if these things are so. Best of luck to you in your life. I will say a prayer for you.