8 thoughts on “Little Lego Dolls aka Kids of Narcissists

• December 5, 2017 at 5:54 pm

To my Narc Parents and both of my Narc Ex Husbands I was PROPERTY (and they told me so). I wasn’t allowed to cry or be sad or be afraid or smile or laugh or be loved because Property doesn’t have any feelings. I was their property to be used, manipulated, abused how and when they chose because Property doesn’t have any feelings. They hated me. Well they hated me period but talking back to them, having opinions of my own, disagreeing (especially with my NM on how I wanted to dress and wear my hair (I was more conservative and old fashioned than her)) just made them hate me even more. They never saw me as being feeling human.

• December 6, 2017 at 2:07 pm

It’s a good feeling to know I’m not alone. I was never good enough. Not blonde not busty like my mother. Too skinny.Not son to carry on my father’s name. My father was a John Barrymore look alike and never let anyone forget it. Mom a May West look alike never let me forget it. She wanted an abortion, my father wanted a son. Father 40 years older than me. WW 2 broke him. A chronic alcoholic. I became somewhat a nursemaid. Hardly ever allowed to play with others. Enemas were a favorite torture for me by my mother.

• December 7, 2017 at 12:59 am

They kept moving the cheese lol, perfect. Oh and giving me a reason to cry about? Heard that one a thousand times. Yeah I cried for what should have been if only she wasnt a narc. Then I could have what all my friends had, a loving relationship with a mother who didn’t make them jump through hoops for love that never comes.

• December 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I felt like nothing I did was right. Why aren’t you looking at me when I’m talking to you? Why are you looking at me? And no one wanted us to think and be independent. No matter how old I got, I would never be seen or treated as an adult.

• November 21, 2018 at 8:37 am

My mother preferred me to be a doll, one that she could put back on a shelf, when she didn´t want to play with me anymore. That´s where I was to remain, so she could pick me up and play with me, when she felt like it. Martha Nussbaum describes this as Objectification, which to my mind matches this narcissistic way of viewing a person as an object, rather than as a person. Reading what you write, helps me see more clearly, how we have had to live with two separate and opposite world views while growing up: narcissism and normalcy. Keep up your good work, the truth needs to be told, and you tell of your experiences clearly enough, for me to see the truth of it, even when it´s uncomfortable.

• January 14, 2019 at 4:25 am

i had a loving relationship with my mom all the way through life until she died, but my dad was tricky, as he was an alcoholic and his whole personality changed when he drank. Turned superior attitude, always right, narcissistic, and the roles were obvious to my sister and i. She was the ‘bad one’ and i was the ‘good’ one. But i had a hard time and shut down, turned into a follower and followed my sister around, until teens. Then i disassociated from the parents and left. My sister remained the scapegoat and i could do no wrong ever in their eyes. I did not turn into a narcissistic person. But my sister totally did, she married an alcoholic and she just thought of herself and had to have everything her way or the highway, just like my dad when he drank. We have never gotten along very long. Complete opposites. Either i do things her way or she ‘washes’ her hands of you. My parents let us decide to do what we want and how we want and that was freeing. Even though they had a lot of problems. We knew they loved us, but dad’s alcoholic choices got in the way and created trust issues, intimacy issues all the way through our own marriages. (my sister and my own)Because roles are performed in dysfunctional alcoholic families, it is hard to analyze whether its alcohol or personality that creates narcassistic personalities in the kids.