43 thoughts on “Stop, Thief! Family Stealing From Family

• November 6, 2016 at 12:42 am

Lenora, once again you remind me that escaping my ex’s family is the best thing I could ever do.

My mom made a leather jacket by hand, which was my favorite. I treasured that jacket because it had sentimental value. Whenever someone complimented it, I would proudly point out that my mom made it.

When I moved 2500 miles away from my blood family to keep my marriage apart, I lost a lot. Along with money, happiness, and a decent credit rating, I lost that jacket. One day it disappeared, and my ex-husband played dumb.

This wasn’t the first time he stole from me. The money problems in my house got so bad I had to literally sleep with my wallet under my pillow, and hide my tip money that I made serving tables. My feelings were never taken into account. I never thought about my situation as abusive, but your articles–among others–help me see that it truly was. Thank you for your insight, and keep at it.

• December 30, 2017 at 7:48 am

My mom plays dumb too about all she has done and then tells lies to others that I am the mentally unstable one when that isn’t the case. I am angry and I live with her because I can’t leave, my mom stole $16k from me to the point where I am out of a car, she bought kitchen appliances and a new grill. I feel like everything is falling apart and I am looking for work dro, home jobs and unable to find legit ones and if I can’t drive to job interviews I don’t know what to do. My mom is a two faced person, and she is very charming than goes behind people’s back and stabs them or say nasty things about them.

All. Want is a nortmal healthy life and not let people sabotage it any more. I am also a single parent and I have to pay for needs for my son, yet I can’t. I am just angry, everything has been sabotaged by her and she will not admit to it. Then she I’ll get all the naive family me,beds to side with her and she will act inmocent. She is trying to get custody over my son son and he is very small and vulnerable, my mom complains I am not doing anything, but when I do make an effort to do something better she will stop it from happening and then complain to others about about how I am not doing anything. I a, feeling stressed, anxious, and isolated from people. I don’t know what to do. It’s been almost 2 years, I can’t live like this any more because nothing she does is ever wrong. She thinks it’s everyone else but her. I am not sure how to make the changes into ,y own life to make it better. I am looking for solutions to problems and I am feeling a bit trapped.

• October 8, 2019 at 12:54 am

YOu have to go no contact with your mother. Shes never ever going to change because
        1. you continue to provide her with narcissistic supply (attention)
        2. shes not suffering any ill consequences as a result of her terrible behaviors.
        You have to not only look out for you but think of your child whose growing up witnessing the very unhealthy behavior and thinking it normal, which its not. When you go no contact although its unfamiliar territory, you will relieved at not having to worry about what terrible thing she will do to you next but you will finally begin living life on your own terms. You absolutely must be firm with following thru with no contact in addition to planning ahead when she tried to continue to sabolage and possibly harrass you until she finds her next supply and move on. Narcs are as incapable of taking responsibility for their actions as they are to tangibly change. She will try her best to convince you shes changed if you ever have contact with her again and she will be on her best behavior for the first while, but beware, in her mind shes thought every step thru and she will punish you so dont let her back in! Now I assure you, you can single parent and you are more than capable. You’ve dealt with the worst opponent next to cancer- a narcissist- Go Champ!

• August 13, 2020 at 9:40 am

Oh this makes me feel better. I came to stay with an aunt, mothers sister, while I found a new place and before I moved in my bmw car key was stolen either by her or her son. Because I thought I lost it my used car was joy ridden, my car papers were stolen and because I moved out and everything was essential in the car and insforage, when everything was taken I was stuck here! I never thought my own aunt would be a part of something like this but even the purses themselves have disappeared. My life savings disappeared in what we think MAYBE is an unrelated theft (Serbs unlikely doesnt it?) and storage unit has been robbed repeatedly. And they bring back little things and put them elsewhere as if I mmisplaced them! Right. It’s such abuse. Laws should be stricter and children should have a way to get justice– those are truly horrible stories I read here.

• November 6, 2016 at 11:29 am

Here I thought it was just me. My brother robbed anyone he came into contact with-mostly my grandparents and my mom. My mom was annoyed that her dad didn’t excuse him for this-so, she gave my brother their home, as soon as they passed on! However, that wasn’t good enough. She fought him getting the house when I found out by accident (hers!). She denied it, accused him of tricking her, dragged me to attorney after attorney to get the house back. Yes, on my dime! I honestly believed her. It wasn’t until she’d moved in with my family (after all-her home had been ‘stolen.’) and I cared for her for 8 years following an accident.
    She handed me a note, telling me it was her ‘proof.’ It was a very cold letter to ‘Whom it may concern.’ That’d be me. The gist of it was, should anyone contest the giving of the property, they lose any and all bequests. Not that there were any, at least for me. Financially, I have done well. I do not need for anything. Nor did my sibling. The pain of betrayal stings. Always will. I no longer speak to any of them, as apparently, she’d hinted to them-without the decency of telling me. My dear aunt told me, and that she’d begged my mom not to do it. She cautioned it would destroy our family. She was right. I’m free from them. Still taking care of her and her affairs, though. I’m the dutiful child. He’s the golden child.

• August 13, 2020 at 10:21 am

Unbelievable story. I sleep at an aunt’s who has almost 50 grandkids and 9 kids. She wants to give them money and things but not hers, tho the son who does the money said she has lots. So she takes mine and decides that someeone in her family can use it. Yeah! So can I! Isn’t that sweet? In lieu of “making sure his moms ok”–everyone has an alibi–all my online accounts have been hacked we assume by a family member, somehow my phone is accessed remotely several times a week, and I hear someone overhead in the attic all the time. The last time i went to local police they must have called HER because they said they thought it was ME! Like I would lose everything I own with no home! She also won’t allow me to put a lock on my door and makes fun of me NOT leaving purses, coats, jackets behind when I go potty which is how my carkey went missing. And one time when I forgot and left my coat I came out to find her just leaving my coat which was on the other side of the room. And she said it was ok to steal from one well endowed relative because “she has plenty,” so we have a thief but to my knowledge I can’t invoke any laws. Police wrote it down, no follow up. This is lord of the flies. No order.

• November 7, 2016 at 11:22 am

I have a question,
    I always believed in marriage all things acquired together belonged to both of you not only because of value but because of memory. My husband and I divorced after 15 years of marriage, He married the other women. It lasted 9 years and he asked if he could come back to me, that he was sorry and always loved me. I forgave and we got back together a year later. We’ve been together now for 12 years. Everything I have is ours but for him he has many things he says are his and not for me to go through. Am I being naive about this? I do have a trust problem.

• November 7, 2016 at 11:23 am

I have a question,

• December 2, 2016 at 12:57 pm

The ‘Scapegoat’ and the ‘Golden Child’…

Lenora, you’ve named it and put it in a nut shell. After 6+ decades, that one sentence says it all. I was the scapegoat and my sister was the golden child and that’s the way it was from the day I was born.

My sister who is a born theif has a sense of entitlement and no conscience whatsoever about taking what is not hers. I’ve had a lifetime of it and to make matters worse her daughter and grandaughter have followed in her footsteps. They are both theives too. When her daugther visited me for two days she left with several items of mine hidden it her suitcase. There was nothing of real value but, she had the nerve to wait until I was asleep to help herself. That was exactly what her mother would do. When I tried to talk to her she avoided me like the plague. I told my sister what had happened and guess what? Her daughter called me a liar and said that I gave her the items hence, immediatley letting me know that I was not mistaken and that she had taken the items. Of course, I was hurt and furious but to make matters worse, my sister told this BS story to the family and I became the horrible aunt who loaned stuff and then falsely accused. I was shunned! Once again becoming the scapegoat.

My sister began stealing from me when I was a child and for every item stolen she already had a plausible story to cover her tracks. One of those was when we were given a gold locket each for being bridesmaids at our half brother’s wedding. I was 10 and she 11. A few months after the wedding my locket dissappeared from where I lovingly kept it. Just before that incident my sister had lost her locket however, suddenly she is walking around with a locket on claiming that she had found hers. When I told my mother that she had my locket I was called a liar but, fate was on my side that day because I had found a tiny photograph of my mother and placed it inside the locket which no one knew about… not even my sister. When I told my mother that if it’s my locket there will be a picture of her in it. So mother checked the locket and it was mine. On that occasion I got the goods back but not so on all other occasions which amounted to many throughout my life. Sister dearest…NOT, has continued to steal many things from me including a gold watch, other pieces of jewellry, money, etc including items of great sentimental value me. When mother died my sister helped herself to all of mother’s jewellry and all itmens of value which she could sell. The jewellry should have been shared amongst the neices and nephews to pass on to their children as a little family heirloom. When asked what happend to the jewellry she told the famiy that I have it. Once again I’ve been portrayed in a negative way and had been scapegoated too.

The sick thing about my sister is that she also claims my personality. She tells people that I’ve done horrible things to her, when in fact, it is she who has done horrible things to me. Her description of me to others is exactly what she is…. she tells people that I am a theif and a liar. Also, she has falsely claimed my achievements bragging about the awards she has won when it was I who had won. There is no end to her machinations and nor will it end because she’s got away with it all her life. Those in the family think she is marvelous and nomatter how much I’ve protested my innocence no one beieves me.

I’ve been scapegoated all my life by that bitch and the only one who knows the truth is me, whilst she stands back and flutter’s her eyelids saying, ‘Who me?…I would never do anything like that.’ No, not bloody half!!!

Finally, my ex husband took jewellry of mine and pawned it and couldn’t account for the money. I was struck dumb when I found out. My present husband who has a good pension and plenty of dollars in the back, was sneakily spending my British pension which is in a joint account to the tune of 6,000 pounds (around 10,000 dollars) He didn’t ask, he just did it and his excuse was that he would lose on the exchange rate. I felt totally disrespected and betrayed. Had I done that to him he would have hit the roof.

Leonara, Thank you for another great article which has shone light on the darker issues within my family of origin and to all the readers who left their comments thank you too for sharing. You have made me realise that I am not alone and not the only one with a shitty family who steals. Stuff them all!

• August 13, 2020 at 9:45 am

Unreal. Sick.

• December 10, 2017 at 5:05 am

I know all to well of this nasty behavior.My parents have done this to me for years and are still doing it,it is destroying my life.It sucks the life out of you and leaves u empty.They little by little stole pretty much everything I had,anything they could make a dollar on and then when I called them out on it they didn’t try to be sneaky about it anymore they just took whatever they wanted,I would see my stuff at their place and they would call me crazy and say it’s theirs.they have gaslighted me for years,and omg it does a number on your brain.i can’t even think anymore,I have forgotten how to spell certain words at times,my body is always in the fight or flight mode.I need help with this but it’s hard to explain to people who haven’t been thru it,family isn’t supposed to hurt u..neither mentally or emotionally.calling them out on it only puts u in more damage,they have now stolen most pictures of my daughter’s.they simply are sick in the head

• December 22, 2017 at 8:43 am

My story is too long and convoluted to relate her, sneaky in the extreme, and set up to rob me of the dream house my husband and I worked years to achieve while ensuring we would be their in house loyal slaves. It nearly worked. And all this was happening while I was desperately ill and being told I might not make it.

I have thought of writing what happened into a novel, but I don’t really care for horror stories. I will say that Hitchcock could have surpassed himself with my two N parents!

• April 4, 2018 at 1:53 am

I was in the same situation my sister would come over and steal dvd’s cd’s lotion perfume anything that she could hide under her clothes and don’t let her stay at your house by herself she will load up her car trunk with your dishes pots and pans silverware bowls lamps and anything else that she can take.
    I cannot stand a thief and a liar.mostly the stuff in her home she has stolen from others.And if anyone takes from her she is furrious.I remember her saying one of her son’s friends had stolen from her she was mad about it but she does not think about the things she has stolen from her own family no one wants her to come to their home they know of her sticky fingers and her son is just like her.

• May 11, 2018 at 6:36 pm

During a recent family funeral, the one person who was yacking about morals and values and giving everyone stress about services was also the one to steal family photos that didn’t belong to that person. This “person” definitely has the “What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine too” narcissistic thought. This “person” feels entitled and acts as if no one else matters. All while smiling in our face with a dagger in their hand. Time and time again belittling the family spreading nasty rumors collecting her unbeknownst cheerleaders with a sneaky proud grin. Just sick. Watch for these types they carry no remorse and when you say how you are hurt it gets swirled around to be your fault for not being on guard 24/7 while they are around so my conclusion is now I won’t have this “person” around.

• September 1, 2018 at 11:41 pm

I am married to an abusive narcissist; I cant describe the hell he has put me through. I’m horrified to find that even though I bought a second house so I could take our daughters & escape – he could move in & I could not stop him.
    His daily routine involves searching thru every inch of my personal belongings & space; there is not so much as a glass, fork, chair, towel that he has ever bought or contributed towards but i am periodically punished by finding something utterly missing or broken.
    His family is the same & encourages his behavior; at one point they accused me of having manufactured a broken nose, leg & an attack with an axe so I could “trap him ” and get him in trouble. Every attorney wants a big retainer, which is difficult bc I pay for everything.
    Is there a resource that i can use?? I can’t believe that i am forced to live with my abuser because i cant afford a divorce. I’m pretty certain that i have reason to fear for my life…

• September 17, 2018 at 10:25 pm

My sister has been stealing from me my entire life. She has been physically and mentally abusive to me for decades. My mother was an enabler-never defending me, even if my sister was pummeling my head and kicking me in my private part with her big feet. I am 60 years old and was recently diagnosed with Post Traumatic Syndrome Disorder because of decades of severe abuse and intimidation. My sister is only one year older – very competitive and jealous. Whenever something of mine went missing-especially gold jewelry-I was not able to accuse her because it meant getting a severe beating and screaming in my face-and mom was no help at all! I now realize that she would react with violence so that next time something of mine went missing-like a pair of gold earrings-I would be too scared to accuse her. All thru my teens, 20’s,30’s and following decades, whenever I got a new pair of gold earrings, they would disappear. My twin brother would send me a gift of a trendy set of earrings of L.A., but I was careful not to get attached to them because I knew they would soon be gone. When I was out of the house my sister would sneak into my room and look in my dresser drawers under the underwear-she knew my hiding places. As my mother became elderly, my sister stole her pension money and would extort money out of her by bullying her also. My sister Margaret has stolen Jewelry, vintage clothing, my nursing uniform, record albums, rare acting books and especially money from me up until my 50’s. I stay away from her s I have learned that she had a cocaine habit when she was younger and she is also now a conniving, manipulative, troublemaking Alcoholic! A phoney who has a lot of friends and needs constant attention and admiration. My point is- be glad that God did not create you like that. I am grateful that I have a heart and a conscience. I am not and never was capable of doing the things she has done to me-especially to her sister-her only one!

• September 17, 2018 at 10:25 pm

• August 13, 2020 at 8:45 am

I am so saddened to read about other’s abuse at the hands of family members who bullied them to the point of stealing their belongings. I have experienced the same. What shall we do? Get away from them. They as we all will will have to answer for their deeds. As beloved St Therese of the Child Jesus said, “The only justice is in heaven”. For now stay away from them and don’t be the food that feeds their lust for power. Let’s live our lives with love.

• April 17, 2019 at 4:18 pm

What legal recourse is there? Report items as stolen including valuable and sentimental family heirlooms that we’re loaned made clear that they were on loan but are not returned when requested. I want to take action.

• May 15, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Sure wish a professional psychologist would reply- explaining to us- WTF is wrong with these people!!!

• May 15, 2019 at 2:14 pm

LOL! Me too!! “Kleptomania” is too good a word. This isn’t, “Oh, I just can’t help myself” this is clever, planned out stealing that takes some effort. Like when my husband’s brand-new car battery was removed and an old one carefully installed. That thief is so implacable all you can say is “Let God sort ’em out.”

• May 27, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I, too, have a sister who steals. She stole a key to my house, and used it to come into my house when I wasn’t around. She tried to gain access to my investment accounts. At first I thought she was just being nosy, but now I realize that she would have cleaned them out if she could have. When our mother was too old to live alone, my sister had the locks on Mom’s house changed, and proceeded to spend the next six months cleaning out Mom’s house, her savings, and selling anything of value. After Mom passed, Sis told our siblings that I had emptied Mom’s house and sold her stuff. Sis calls once in a while, but I rarely take the call; I usually just delete the voicemail without listening.

• September 16, 2019 at 3:54 pm

My first cousin manipulated my grandmother to change her will when she was sick. She did what the lawyer called “undue influence.” I have to say I wasn’t shocked but my mother was. My cousin was always a first class manipulator and liar. She grew up in a dysfunctional household – her mother had been in and out of mental institutions and her father was a total joke. She was very jealous of my mother and everyone around her that had a stable mother. She never had a true mother in the real sense of the word and she was envious and wanted others to suffer. The money and possessions she stole were more about that then the financial gain. It’s almost hard to hate her as she is such a failure at life. I find it all too amusing that she emails me here and there thinking we can go back to being one big family. True narcissist, empty and pathetic person. My cousin is also wealthy- so she didn’t need the money. Karma has been catching up with her and I don’t see anyone more deserving. I hope the stolen money and things make her very happy in her lonely soulless life. Have at it. Hope it was worth it.

• October 31, 2019 at 3:59 pm

My dad stole my house and years of equity. He stole my car. He tried to buy my kids with my million dollar inheritance. Thankfully they walked away from him. He threw my son in a mental institution when he came to visit him on a holiday break from college. My sister was his accomplice as she worked at the institution. Horrifying!

• January 26, 2020 at 1:01 am

I am having a strange version of this kind of issue, with my Aunt, who has decided that the home I live in is hers now, and has effectively remodeled the place after what she likes….
    This would not be so bad, except I keep finding things she has stolen, or thrown away of mine because they do not jive with her visions for the house. Her response is always the same when confronted, that I should make a list of things that are missing, and she will replace them, but this is reactive thinking, and sometimes impossible.
    Like for instance, she stole several thumb drives I had been keeping that were full of files I wanted to hold onto. Just replacing the thumb drives is not the point, I cannot get those files back now, unless I go out, and pay for them all, which is ridiculous. That is like if you stole an album of photos, and when asked about it came back with, stop complaining I will buy you some new film. Except that does not replace the photos, and they cannot be replaced in many instances, unless they are going to buy you some film, and a time machine to go back and recreate the memories lost. As well, some of these photos cannot be retaken, as family members in the pictures have since pass away, which would require not only a time machine, but the ability to resurrect dead people.
    The most recent thing was the other night, I was up late working on a project, and my drink had gotten warm, so I went to get a couple of ice cubes from the freezer, and realized that this person had removed the ice trays from the freezer. She did not even put them into the cabinets, no that would not be her style, she took them completely, and now I had to go out and buy more ice trays to be allowed to have ice in my freezer where I live. This makes NO SENSE at all, and I cannot grasp what was the problem with ice in the freezer to this lady, but she got rid of them nonetheless to make room for all of her stupid little cookie dough art projects. I cannot take it anymore, and honestly just want to commit murder to get this monster out of my life, but everyone else in the family is on her side, and telling me to stop complaining.
    I feel like i am stuck for a solution to this, and that this lady has planted her flag in my home, and claimed it for herself now!!

• January 26, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Hi Zachariah, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. She reminds me of those squatters that are able to “legally” steal people’s homes from them. Have you watched the movie “Gaslight” starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer? Your aunt’s behavior reminds me VERY, VERY MUCH of what Boyer did in that picture. It might shed some light on your situation too. I also wonder who she gave your flash drives too so they could snoop into your personal business. To my eyes, she’s working a strategy…not just “redecorating.”

Wish I could help you more.

~ Lenora

• January 27, 2020 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the response Lenora, and I am stuck on you last statement – “she’s working a strategy…not just “redecorating.” – as this is exactly what me and my Mother believe Lori is doing, trying to create a situation where I am to blame for anything she steals from me….
        Honestly, I do not care who looks at old tax documents / schoolwork, but it is discerning to have to lose things that were important to me, just so this person can slowly plant her flag here, and turn it into her home away from home.
        Lori has no heart, no soul, and no empathy for any one who is not Lori, so I feel I am at the mercy of this, until she decides to go back to her house, and leave me alone. I know I will not be getting anything she took back, because I do not have direct proof she took them, and she lies like it is her nature!!

• January 27, 2020 at 3:35 pm

You’re a very nice, peace-loving person…and you’re probably going to lose your home. Run…do not walk…to the nearest attorney and take legal steps now to turn her out and secure your “castle” ASAP.

Best wishes!

Lenora

• August 13, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Omg! I had to comment when you mentioned gaslight. I saw it twice and this what she’s doing to me: I’m crazy and there’s a lot of mental illness in the family! ALL my things are now gone except for what wouldn’t sell? I dunno why the thieves left some things but we thought they were going to sell my car for parts. Plates, holders were missing, damage done in and out, paint on the car, tires slashed, all tags removed from car. Police did nothing but give me a ticket for no plates. They love my aunt who’s 87. I’m only 63.

• January 27, 2020 at 7:07 pm

That is not as simple as it sounds, as this is not truly my house….
    This home belongs to my other Aunt Kathleen (Kat), and I pay her $1050 per month so me and my wife (Stormy), can live here. Also, Lori is not really living here, it is her daughter, my cousin sort of, Holly and her boyfriend who are shacked up here now. This is mainly an arrangement that Kat and Lori came to because Holly was recently released from prison on parole, and needed a place to stay while she tried to get her life back in order….
    The real problem is that Holly is basically just a clone of her Mother, and is also a pathologically self-serving person, who cares about nobody except herself. On top of this, she is a VERY wasteful person to live with, and with me having to cover the utilities, it is frustrating that she refuses to turn off lights she is not using, and washes a large tub of clothes every day, as opposed to having a wash day, like most people. As well, she and her guy lie to have intercourse in the shower 3 – 4 times a day, leaving little hot water for anyone else to shower with. The result of this is that my monthly heating / electricity bill has nearly tripled since they moved in, and the water bill is now stratospheric.
    I would LOVE to turn Holly out, but do not believe I have a legal leg to stand on in that!!

• May 10, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Children are property. I’m staying with my mother’s sister during a move and the “family” has stolen every single thing I own, including mail. I am destitute. My aunt told everyone I’m rich, she did it too, and voila. I’m stuck. Finally found others.

• May 10, 2020 at 2:56 pm

I’m staying with an aunt and most of her family is doing this! To me! And I grew up with them. I don’t need to tell u how low class it is to steal from your own cchikdfen! Children are property, they believed. How mean can u get. I am destitute. I was Not Rich.

• May 10, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Hey Beth, I am so sorry to hear your situation, as I am going through something very similar over here myself….
      One of the things that people have told me is ‘Never deal with family, if you can avoid it’ as they often feel entitled to take whatever they want, and just fluff it off with something like ‘Blood is thicker than water’ or some such nonsense, which forgives them for anything they do / take.
      Unfortunately, you may be stuck in a terrible trap now, as I have seen. That is, unless you are ready to take your own family to court over it, which feels almost diabolical to me honestly.
      KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!

• August 12, 2020 at 6:54 pm

I would love to tell my story.
    My wife of 28 years and I are separated
    And divorce hopefully will be finalized in November.
    It was late in April of last that Year while I was getting groceries out of her Jeep, I found a envelope containing our tax records , my pay stubs, and all necessary items that she was looking for a divorce. She had already had a lease on a apartment at the end of May.
    I brought the envelope inside and confronted her on it. She basically just called me snooping and just lie after lie coming out of her mouth. Anyway a day passed of not talking and come earlyMonday morning, I asked her for the mail key.She always controlled the mail in the house. I came home from work around noon and most of her belongings were gone. She took as much as she could from the bank accounts and left. I came to find out after going to the bank that she was getting Botox over the last 4 years to the amount of 20,000 dollars plus.
    Unbelievable that someone you have known, loved, trusted, to be gone instantly. How many times she lied to her family about everything still Gets to me

• August 13, 2020 at 12:23 pm

It’s not narcissism although that’s certainly a characteristic. It’s gross immaturity which is hallmarked by selfishness. Even if they wished for the items for other people, their harsh insensitivity to their innocent victim gives away the evil. Why aren’t they trying themselves? Or asking? When I told my cousin no to a request she started taking all my things and told family “get everything you can.” These terrible stories are of unbridled greed and selfishness. These thieves aren’t going to heaven any time soon. We need laws now.