9 thoughts on “25 Spot-On Quotations About Narcissism

• August 16, 2017 at 10:40 pm

one of the quotes in the above article is “The narcissist would love nothing more than to know you are eating uncooked Top Ramen out of a dumpster for dinner tonight while wearing yesterday’s underwear.”
    — Tina Swithin, writer

This is a really interesting quote as a child I grew up in a home that there wasn’t sufficient meals drinks and we could have gone a long time b4 switching underwear.

Where can I get more info about why a narcissist would love this type of actions?
    I appreciate understanding their motives as it has done a lot of damage to me.

• August 20, 2017 at 4:58 am

Hi!
      I’m really sorry to hear that Rene’e E
      I think it means a narcisstist would feel much better if he/she heard that because then he/she can then feel so much better than you, and put you down for it, even though he/she might only be eating uncooked Top Ramen from the dumpster in TODAYS underwear. The narcissist would like to know ANYTHING that makes him/her better than you.
      Again this is only my interpretation of it, and I might be completely wrong
      Hope I could help!
      Zoe

• August 20, 2017 at 9:09 am

Why are so few therapists specifically trained in treating the adult children of narcissists when there seems to be so many?

• August 20, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Tyler,
      There are many good therapists who can work with adult children of narcissists, though it does seem that awareness about and interest in narcissism has skyrocketed of late. A therapist with experience working with adult children of narcissists and with a solid understanding of narcissistic dynamics can be important if you are seeking therapy for issues related to a narcissistic upbringing. However, even if a therapist does have specific expertise in working with adult children of narcissists, a therapist who specializes or has expertise in working with survivors of abuse or trauma or with adult children of alcoholics can be helpful. Beyond finding a qualified therapist, you want to feel your therapist really understands you and hears and sees you.
      Dan

• August 21, 2017 at 2:30 pm

What I’m getting at us that I don’t think the psychological community has taken this issue of narcissism and it’s victims seriously or tried to understand it in any comprehensive manner and I don’t understand why.

If a trauma specialist sees an Iraq vet with PTSD in the morning and then me, a subject of physical, sexual and emotional abuse from my parents in the afternoon do you think that they are going to be equally effective with both of us?

If a specialist in children of alcoholics sees me in the morning with no lasting physical scars and then a woman (such as my ex wife) with cigarette burns on her arms from her mother in the afternoon do you think we are getting equal treatment?

The subject of narcissism has skyrocketed partly from the validation people received from a couple of accurate books by licensed therapists but much more so from a dozen or so amateur blogs that allowed interaction and didn’t hide behind generic DSM driven language. Our global experience was so creepily similar, sometimes right down to the language that our tormentors used, that people developed short codes like ACON and NC. Yet when I turn to the professionals I get crickets.

And, no, I don’t have thousands of dollars to experiment. I already donated those dollars to your cause over the past 30 years. I want someone who shows some understanding of the dynamics of a narcissistic parent, their spouse and their children so the treatment can begin and ‘splaining can end. I don’t pay for me to educate you.

I’m going to reiterate. There is a clear narrow and predictable structure to the dynamics of a narcissistic parent, their spouse and their children. Psychological treatment with that understanding can be focused and effective. Yet that is not happening. Why? Because y’all didn’t think of it first?

• August 27, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Hi Tyler,
        I’m not entirely sure who you are speaking to when you write “you” and “y’all didn’t think of it first.” On this blog, you are preaching to the converted. But thank you for your contributions.
        Dan

• July 20, 2018 at 11:44 am

Great quotes that resonate. My problem was not having a clue about narcissism before tying the knot. What I have learned since is amazing and accurate. I would push for public school education about narcissism in social studies and civics. I am aware it is discussed in psychology classes. I strongly believe everyone should become aware as early as high school because their quality of life may depend on it. When someone is not exposed to characteristics of narcissism they are prey for the heartless crusaders of self love. Now that narcissism is discussed in our politics it gives me hope it can be a topic of discussion in not only psychology, but also social studies and civics. I also strongly believe that law enforcement personnel should be maid aware of narcissism. One thing I know for certain is that narcissists have an attraction to going to jail or court. It is because they do not follow rules, norms, procedures and laws.

• July 20, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Hi High Roller,
      I share your hope that awareness about and discussion of unhealthy narcissism will expand beyond psychology to civics and other social sciences. Narcissists number less than 5 percent of the adult population but their destructive actions have negative effects well beyond their actual numbers. Thank you for your insights and for sharing your experiences.
      Dan