8 thoughts on “How to Detect Unhealthy Narcissism

• March 12, 2017 at 4:06 am

Great read. Thanks for the insights!

Suzie

• May 2, 2017 at 11:45 pm

I’ve read other articles and a few books about the Narcissistic personality, but your articles are the most succinct yet thoughtful and descriptive, very relatable. They are really hitting home with me. Thank you.

• May 8, 2017 at 9:22 am

Your articles on decoding narcissism have been very helpful to me in deconstructing the bizarre behaviour of my husband. It’s very difficult to come to the hard realization that what my husband portrays as a “perfect image” of a family is, in fact, a highly dysfunctional and toxic family and not a good example or model for my children. Now that I have peeked behind the curtain so to speak, I can no longer remain married to this man and spend the rest of my days with him – locked in a dysfunctional partnership that requires the subjugation of my reality to his. But, in your articles, I haven’t found much on how to exit in the least harmful, painful manner to the children involved. Sadly, I’ve been held in this marriage by his willingness to manipulate the children to control me. Do you have any thoughts, references, links or referrals on this subject? Thanks

• June 24, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hi NightOwl,

Exiting a dysfunctional or toxic relationship with a narcissist is especially difficult if you have children. If the other parent is willing, seeking co-parenting counseling or training can offer help in separating and divorcing in healthier ways when children are involved.

If your partner is an extreme or malignant narcissist, you may find help in reading Tina Swithin’s books or website http://www.tinaswithin.com/. Bill Eddy has helpful writing as well on dealing with high-conflict people in divorces. Go to http://www.highconflictinstitute.com/billeddy

Dan

• June 24, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Thank you; I am glad you are finding this blog helpful to you.
      Dan

• February 23, 2018 at 9:08 am

“If you’re in a relationship with a narcissist, you may struggle to find equality, love, and reciprocity.”

Two moral codes you will never find in an unhealthy narcissist:

The Golden Rule:
    The principle of “treating others as one would wish to be treated and not as how one does not wish to be treated”. It involves a person empathizing and perceiving others also as I or self.

The Golden Mean:
    In ancient Greek philosophy, especially that of Aristotle, the golden mean is the desirable middle between two extremes, one of excess and the other of deficiency. “Nothing in excess”