21 thoughts on “12 Ways Narcissists Behave Like Children

• November 20, 2018 at 4:12 am

To understand that, the narcissistic behavior is not personal is fine. The answer that is not in this article is to the question of ‘how to prevent a narcissist person cause damage, for example in a work environment ?’ what if the person is my boss? Regards, Carol

• November 21, 2018 at 9:58 am

In my experience, these children continue to act in all areas listed above….right into adulthood…..till they pass from this life!!!

• November 21, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Oh, boy, does this bring back memories – horrible memories. My 6′ 4″ semi-truck driver of a former husband once tied a dead racoon to the step board of his truck. Not only that he tied a fish line to its paw & had it go up to & inside of the driver’s window, so whenever he’d pass someone, he pull the fish line to make it wave. Oh, and he called him Sleepy whenever he was asked about it. He thought it was funnier than h#ll until he was suspended from his job after the owner of the trucking company saw it. Later I was blamed because he said he couldn’t handle the two surgeries (in one year) I had to have for a brain tumor. I could tell you a lot more, but I think this particular story confirms you statement “don’t expect them to act their age.”

• November 21, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Trying to not take things personal & tolerating totally abusive behavior is not in anyone’s best interest. Any counselor will tell you that if a person is totally abusive, family or not, for what ever reason, should be removed from your life.

I’ve seen it with my own eyes, I’ve had to watch my husband put up with this behavior, from his mother, since we’ve been married (23 years); watched him be depressed, demoralized, miserable, manipulated & paralyzed to the point of being unable to make important decisions in our lives (all because she said that they were “stupid”…her favorite word for him & it was very hard for me to over ride & get things that needed to be done.) He has done counseling (many times!) & was told to get away from her! I grew up in an abusive household, escaped it & told him on numerous occasions that even though she’s his mother (mine was my dad), he needed to run, not walk away. I refused to talk to her to keep her poison as far away as I can.

He finally took my advice & has cut out his narcissistic mother out of his life. The last time he called her on the phone, to talk about Christmas, she unleashed so much hate, he had finally had to accept the truth & do it once & for all. He hung up, blocked her number, unfriended & blocked her on facebook! (I did the same & told the kids to do it, too). We both agreed that if she sends anything, it will be marked “return to sender, address unknown”.

Sometimes we think she reached the point that she’s become delusional or senile. In the last call, it started pleasant enough but then she started her usual tirade on everyone, then focused on me, claiming I was a mean step-mother & that I went after the kids with knives. Well, the truth of the matter, my husband has a brother who she consider’s her “perfect” son (& can do no wrong) & he did those things to his kids before he got a divorce. My husband (the “evil” son & can do no right) is considered his father’s son & she hates both. The father has been dead 15 years, she’s remarried & she still slams him! (BTW, she’s always tried to create animosity between the boys & when she found the perfect opportunity to drive a wedge between them, she used it & they haven’t spoken to each other in 10 years). What’s weird is there are other times that he calls her & she’s totally pleasant!

He’s has tried to defend both the kids & I, on numerous occasions, when she made these accusations but she turns around & uses it for ammo in other conversations.

Then she sunk to the newest low, this time, & tried to drag the kids into it by calling up the step kids, telling them what a pathetic father he is & I’m the evil step mother…the kids told tried to defend us & told her that she was the evil one.

Cutting her out of our life has brought so much peace & we will be able to have a joyous holiday season. Now it is time for my husband’s wounds to heal.

• November 21, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Narcissists could be very dangerous people to be

You´ve given us great tips to deal with them

But, beyond dealing with them I think we could use avoiding a relationship with that kind of subjects

Greetings from Caracas

• November 21, 2018 at 7:56 pm

I believe I am a narcissist in recovery and have been working at it for some time. I have another sibling who is struggling to the point where the disease is life threatening . I believe it has its roots in unmet childhood needs which bordered on abuse from a parent who was incapable and left the offspring in a terrible state of approval seeking and want. My sister . .so trapped in her codependence never had a chance.

• November 22, 2018 at 7:38 am

This article describes my husband to a t. At anytime he is just one step away from falling into his ‘two year old’ temper tantrums. We’ve been together for a long time and I have worked hard regarding understanding narcissism and related behaviors and to try and help him, but finally, he has worn me down and burned me out to the degree that I have suffered from long term depressions.
    In taking stock of our relationship, I came to realize that enough is enough and it’s now time for me to move on with my life and clear out all the stress and negativity from being married to a person that is no more than a child in a man’s body. He is a highly manipulative, duplicitous, deceitful, self absorbed, serial adulterer and pathological liar.

I’ve grown very tired of always being blamed (because he is incapable of self responsibility) and, listening to his denials while he projects his stuff onto me. My biggest regret is that I met him in the first place and unwittingly I was a victim of his long list of manipulative lies. That has been my misfortune. If anyone told me that he/she was in a relationship with a narcissist and didn’t know whether to leave or stay, I would say get out and as far away as possible because they don’t change and they will suck the life out of you.

In saying all of the above, I have been down the road of trying what you have suggested in your pos and I’ve bent over backward for him but, no more. They are to most selfish of people and they do NOT change.

• November 23, 2018 at 9:14 am

My sister , the codependent , is talking of taking her life now because of the behavior of my narcissistic mother . It makes me so sad and I often feel so helpless

• November 23, 2018 at 11:37 am

Dear missn,

I can understand your feeling sad and helpless when your sister is so deeply affected by your narcissistic mother’s behavior and influence.

Anytime someone talks of taking their life it can be serious. It is important to pay attention. While talking about killing ones self does not necessarily mean it will happen, many people who have killed themselves have talked about it before doing so. It is important to assess whether anyone talking about suicide may be at risk for hurting or killing themselves. You may wish to suggest your sister see a therapist or call a local crisis line. And if you are ever concerned that she is at risk for an immediate suicide attempt, call 911 immediately.

Dan

• November 23, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Yes..I am scared and worried and doing what I can bur she has shut me out and there is no way she would go to a councillor as she has had a bad experience . .so it’s really tough right now.

• November 27, 2018 at 2:30 pm

You shared great tips! Thanks a lot for doing so! I appreciate everyone who participated in this topic.

• November 28, 2018 at 12:10 am

Every article I read on NPD describes my brother to a T. The problem I am having however is that nearly every single article I can find is targeting people who are in relationships with people with NPD (usually telling them to get out of the relationship), and I find very little information about how to HELP a person with NPD. In fact, most articles pretty much say they are helpless.

I refuse to believe this. I love my brother and I will stop at nothing until he has been treated for his mental illness (Disorder) and undergoes continual treatment and improvement. There’s got to be a way to help people with NPD. I get all of the reasons why it is difficult (they refuse to seek help, believe there’s nothing wrong with them, etc.), so I don’t need to hear any more of that. I want to know HOW to help my brother. Can you tell me?

• November 28, 2018 at 3:55 am

Jared,

Some sites that contain resources and support for those with narcissism or NPD (Note: some of these sites also have information for those affected by narcissistic people)

• December 27, 2018 at 12:43 pm

thank you for your comments.I was married to a narcissist for ten ten years. we had one daughter. I divorced him when our daughter was 6. that was 30 years ago and I still suffer PTSD from the abuse. In the past year our daughter has manifested full blown NPD. she has two children that we are not able to see or talk to. she does not talk to us anymore. the meaness is almost unbearable.. She seems to enjoy punishing me. It is very hard not being able to see our grandchildren. Her father has NPD and she seems to have come to accept him but now is punishing me. I am currently seeing a psychologist to try to figure out how to handle it all. very sad.

• February 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Having a close cousin who’s a full blown narcissist, it’s hilarious being able to go down your list and tick each thing off that my cousin exhibits.

Especially number 7 where they are ALWAYS the damn victim. It got so bad that he started assuming I was sleeping with his ex girlfriend which was the reason they broke up.

Ridiculous! Of course in his mind the break up had nothing to do with him being a crummy boyfriend prompting her to leave.

Then you factor in the alcohol and how crazy he gets when he’s drunk… yeah narcissism is definitely not a pleasant experience to be around.

Keep up the good work, we need more authors like you sharing their experiences.

• April 29, 2019 at 7:59 am

Your picture of the little girl reminds me of my late mother and her regression to childish responses. As I matured, I came to realize that her poor parenting skills were attributable to some type(s) of personality disorders. She was quite the control freak, and she became increasingly agitated with me because her manipulative techniques did not work. I also believe that she was envious about my happy marriage, retirement, and my post-retirement completion of college.
    During the final time that my family visited her, she hunkered back in a rocking chair, arms crossed, scowling, just a – rocking – away, and refusing to speak. I was very upset at this spectacle for a couple of days because I knew, please forgive me, that she was really off her rocker. Her hatred of me was quite apparent. Nowadays, I thank God that I had the good fortunes that I did in spite of her, and that I recognized and escaped her manipulative and controlling ways.

• June 10, 2019 at 10:28 am

Great Article. Very on point!

• March 1, 2020 at 3:22 pm

I agree. I do this, see my narcissist father as a child or a toddler.
    So much easier to deal with that degenerate.
    Also dont look at him in the eyes, that triggers him, he feels like hes being attacked.