6 thoughts on “Appearing “Young & Healthy” But Needing Psych Services

• March 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm

There’s a multiple generational gap here. Most of the justices are 65+, they have no clue about the extent to which a decent segment of the young, “healthy” population takes maintenance medications.

• March 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Erica, this is a very good point. You are absolutely right. A number of the justices probably take maintenance medications themselves, if I can be bold enough to speculate – blood pressure and cholesterol-lowering drugs, etc., but they simply haven’t thought of the other kind of maintenance meds that young people so often take.

• March 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Wow. You have hit the nail on the head squarely w/this excellent article. Speaking personally, I can attest to having spent from age (approx) 11 until 40 years old appearing as ‘the ultimate Picture of Health’. Things could not have been further from the truth. Yes, I had a very well-tuned physical body, but my mental health was so ill. I was suicidal nearly 24/7, using cogntive behavioral therapy on myself (I’m masters level therapist in counseling; worked 22 years in the field) to avert such from happening. Even went to professionals who, because I ‘looked so well’, wrote so much off to situational things. One Ph.D. at my college counseling center actually told me, “You are just homesick. Go home for the summer and you will feel better.” This after telling her I had suicidal ideation only 2 days earlier….and taking the MMPI and answering it quite honestly and candidly.

Kudos to you for this much-needed article. I am on your bandwagon. I am on anyone’s band wagon who needs just some good old hugs, love, support, quiet, communication…..whatever. Especially if one is in that ‘missed group’ who appears to be the “light of Life”, yet hangs on by a thread, nearly minute by minute.

Thank you and best regards.

• March 31, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thank you, J.T. So many people I’ve spoken to who have mental health problems have highlighted this issue of looking well and feeling ill that I thought it deserved mentioning. I often feel this way myself, and I talked about it in a recent column in which I talked about how so much of psychiatric care is about self-reporting. Anyway, it sounds like you are faring much better now – I hope that is the case. Best of luck in the future.

• April 1, 2012 at 11:42 am

you see< if "we" say that "this person" whom we are force drugging,which may just mean they dont who turned up for some loving therapy looks, sounds, appears healthy and normal

• April 6, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Great article. I am in my 30s now and have always been employed. I too am the “picture of health” as most mentally ill people learn to appear. I am college educated and have luckily been insured through all of my jobs. Despite insurance, at one point, in order to get out of bed and KEEP my job, I had to go to weekly therapy at $50 per week(this was my co-pay) per session; monthly psychiatrist visit at $100 (retail price for a doctor not on my insurance) and 5 daily medications ranging from $10 per month to $85. In addition, I have had three 28 day hospital stays, which can cost a minimum of $200 per day even with insurance.