7 thoughts on “Should You Tell? Disclosing Meds To A Significant Other

• March 17, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I would really like to read more on this topic. i am a 45-year-old widow, and am considering dating again. One of my concerns is telling people that I take meds for depression and anxiety,plus i suspect I may have ADD or mild ADHD, so I may need for that. Many people i know are against the use of such meds-in fact-some are against taking meds for anything in general. I don’t want to blurt out the fact that I take these medications on a first date, but at the same time, I’m afraid I might find out the hard just when a relationship starts to blossom that a man is opposed to use of medications.

• March 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

I would be curious to hear other people’s opinions on etiquette, but I think there are other ways to do this besides blurting out one’s medication regimen out on the first date apropos of nothing. Perhaps there’s a way to bring up ADHD and medication more organically and in the abstract to see what your date’s thoughts are on the subject. If he seems slightly hostile you could always mention that you take them – maybe when he finds out your particular situation he would revise his opinion!

• March 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thanks for writing on this topic, I’d love to hear more and other peoples experiences.
    I’m 30yrs old and in the dating world. I have been taking meds for PTSD and disassociation for some time now, and would like to know when is the beat time to disclose this info to ppl in my life. I have had the experience of letting freinds who know me are extremely compident, intelligent and happy individual- an they are often shocked to here of my troubles past and need for meds. I’m concerned that disclosing this info to new mates might ‘scare’ them away… Is it bet to never tell?
    Love to hear more, and thank you for taking the time, enery, and strength the write about this.

• June 9, 2012 at 3:13 am

Hi Shelly,

I’m also in my 30s dating and take meds for dissociation and PTSD! I’m so surprised to run across someone similar.

I also wonder about disclosure – in general (mostly to warn people before they may see me dissociate) and about meds. I’m really quite healthy, and I don’t like being seen to be less well than I am. But I do have pills in my purse, by my bed, etc. and it would take a concerted effort to hide that, and hiding makes me feel like I have something to be ashamed of – which I don’t.

At least in my circles, depression is seen as common and okay, and to some extent anxiety too. I sometimes wonder about downgrading what I have to ‘anxiety’ to sound less alarming, but oddly, I sort of feel like I’m short changing myself if I do. I do find it challenging having a diagnosis that, in general, no one has ever heard of (dissociation) and, that the main reference point is DID – which people tend to see in a pretty alarming light (and based on films).

• March 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I have always been ultra careful about divulging medications I take for bipolar. Most often in my experience it has never gone well. People I find are afraid. They are led to believe that psych meds are for violent crazy people. There needs to be more education about what and why these meds are nessecary so they have a clear understanding that we can live a normal life taking the meds we need. The article is one that needs to be read, powerful words so well spoken.

• March 27, 2012 at 9:31 am

This comment brings up an important issue, although it doesn’t highlight it explicitly. There are different kinds of psychiatric medications, and, as one sociologist I admire says, people have ideas of which ones they find “acceptable” and which ones they don’t. Many people, sadly, draw the line at the medications for bipolar disorder, which seem, somehow, more heavy-duty, and thus, more scary, than, say, antidepressants. The nature of the disorder itself scares some people, too. Has anyone with bipolar disorder felt that if they took medications for a different, “milder,” condition they would feel more comfortable disclosing?

• April 4, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Nobody knows. People suspect and people I get my 3 bipolar meds know. If work knew I would lose my job. I take afternoon meds with a certain quick and nervous movement. My wife of nine years does not know. People think I am quirky but fun and I get along. But I do not have one close male friend. 34 years but it is ok. Don’t want a friend who knows