6 thoughts on “Can Meds Transform Mental Illness Into Mental Health?

• October 10, 2012 at 7:55 am

I hate the term “mental illness”. I hate how it makes me feel. I prefer “mental health” because I find it positive. It makes me feel like recovery is possible (although I do not like the term recovery either). I personally say “mental health issue”. When I do my mental health work I will use mental illness since that is the language people are familiar with.

Overall I believe in self identification. I know it confuses people but it’s very important for people to have control over their labels.

• October 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Kay, I like what you say about self-identification. I don’t like the term “mental illness” either, but Natasha Tracy’s post made me look at it in a more sympathetic light and wonder if when I say “mental health issues” or “mental health problems,” I’m not just airbrushing the subject. But I do think it has an interesting relationship to whether we consider people who respond to meds as “cured” or “healed”-or just better for the timebeing.

• October 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

This drug question is huge, and unless we can clone ourselves and have a “control group” there is really no way to know if we are better or worse off (long term) with the meds. I have been reading more and more articles supporting the idea that these drugs do change the brain, and coming off of them can even cause psychosis. If this is true, so many people are “trapped”……I don’t know what the answer is, but we need to continue to educate ourselves and talk about these issues.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I can no longer find any reason to believe a word out of a shrink. I have been misdiagnosed, given the wrong meds, used as a guinea pig, put on anti-psychotics,(that were never necessary), and told that my world would burn if I ever stopped taking them. I was told the same thing about all of my wrongly prescribed meds. All this crap does is keep you from getting better. I quit it all 4 years ago. I’m so much better now. I have some challenges, but I don’t need a bunch of quacks making sure they keep me sick.

• April 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I’m sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with diagnosis, psychiatrists and medication. I can understand why you’d be bitter, and I’m glad to hear you’re doing better. I have to disagree that all that the aforementioned do for anyone is “keep you from getting better.” I’ve gotten better on medication – I’ve even had antidepressants lift me out of a deep depression caused by a mood stabilizer I was taking for migraines. Millions of people will swear psychiatric medication also helped them significantly, even saved their lives. And plenty of others will say just the opposite, like you. My point is that medications can be harmful, and they can be helpful, even in the same person (the same is true of non-psychiatric medications). A person’s experience depends on their attitude, their circumstances, their doctor, their diagnosis/symptoms/particular set of problems, and how they respond to a give drug. So although you’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t think it’s helpful-or fair-to make sweeping generalizations one way or the other.

• March 3, 2019 at 5:58 am

I don’t believe Meds should be taken forever, ir never ends well. The body will always develop tolerance to any pill you take for a long time, so eventually even u you take meds on a daily bases it will stop working.